Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Minivan ?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

Do you have a minivan, if so what kind? What is the good and the bad about your van?

I won't one and my DH doesn't so I am trying to convince(sp?) him  to trade his truck which he don't won't to do and get one!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mirandar2001
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I had to make a compromise with my hubby since we have a sedan and a pickup, I wanted a van and he hates them, so we ended  up getting an SUV instead. We're both happy.

MamaCeleste0722
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna. Love it!  I have no problems driving it; it doesn't "feel" like driving a minivan. It's got great storage, and plenty of room for my kids.. I can't think of any cons about it..

lvnmylif
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I have a Honda Odyssey.  I love my minivan.  The number one reason we bought it is because both DH and I can drive it comfortably.  That is no small task considering I am 5'3" and he is 6'5".  Other than that it gets great gas mileage comes with every feature you could ask for.  It is one of the top mini vans on the safety ratings.  Oh and the power sliding doors on both sides is a god send.  Plenty of storage room and the seats are easily adjusted and lowered to suit any configuration you might need.  The downside of it is getting it clean.  It costs a bit more to have it detailed than a car but it is worth it because I can't easily get my pregnant self in the back to do it. 

brie08172009
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:13 PM

i have a chrysler voyger and i love it it has an automatic sliding door all i have to do is push a button and it opens i love it it is very convenent when i am puting little kids in the van and the other dooris sliding as well it is very nice if you ask me oh and pretty good gas millage

lace209
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Unless your hubby is a mechanic or you are a good friend with one don't get one. I wanted one for a long time and got one about a year and a half ago. Well when things started breaking, as they do on cars, I can't work on them. there is no room under the hood. To change the alternator you have to pull the motor forward. I had to take it to the shop just 2 weeks ago to have the water pump changed. These are things I have done on my other cars with no problem. Get a SUV that you have room to work on the motor.

cabyrum
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM

We have a 2007 Nissan Quest and absolutely love it. It has plenty of room - my MIL says the back seat is far more comfortable than in either of their SUVs - they have a Chevy Tahoe and a Nissan Pathfinder.

The rear seat folds flat. When the rear seat is up there is a ton of storage in the well behind the seat. Our car seats fit great in the middle row captain's chairs - we have used a Britax Regent, Britax Roundabout, and Graco Nautilus. I think we have also installed the Nautilus's in the rear seat but can't recall for sure.

We've had the van for 2 1/2 years now and it is still great. We also have had superior service from our Nissan dealership - haven't had to pay for any maintenance yet and they are also quick to fit us in for anything - we just recently had a rear light that needed a new bulb and they fit us right in with no charge.

We got the built in dvd and it works great - we've used it a ton since we take 3-4 long drives (14 hr each way) a year.

The power sliding doors are great - the only thing I would do different is to get the power on both side doors not just the passenger side (dd was a baby when we got it so didn't figure we needed it, now we don't *need* it but it would be nice, lol). The power gate in the back is great too :)

I would definitely buy a Quest again if we needed to get a new van.

baby growth

baby

sapphiresoda
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan and love it.  It's so roomy, fits all our stuff and our kids for going on road trips, camping, or even just for going major grocery shopping.  We also have an SUV and there just isn't enough room in it for the carseats, stroller, and anything else we need to take with us in the car.  I wasn't thrilled about the idea of driving a "Mommy Mobile" until I realized all the benefits of having one once we had our second child.  I actually just got my van a few months ago after over a year of trying to squeeze my two boys in the back of the SUV and trying to get groceries to fit into the little bit of cargo space that was left after putting our stroller and diaper bag in the back.  Vans are awesome for hauling stuff, mine has two removable rows of seats, so if you wanted to buy a couch or another piece of furniture from a garage sale or help a friend move, it would be totally doable and your cargo wouldn't get wet.  I love that my minivan is so versatile.  If you do get a van, make sure you get one with dual sliding doors.  That was one of my main things when buying mine.  It is just so much easier to get your kids in and out of the vehicle that way; otherwise you have to climb in from one side to buckle in your child on the far side of the van.  My husband and I are expecting our third, so a minivan just made sense.  

Almost forgot...

The Dodge Grand Caravan is one of the cheapest and easiest vehicles to work on, everything is easy to get to, so your husband could do any of the mechanical stuff that needed to be done quicky an easily.   

baby

baby

Pregnancy ticker
tiffer0118
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM
I have a Honda Odyssey. I love it! Plus it's like the safest minivan on the road. I am all about safety for my family.
katzmeow726
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM

We're thinking of getting a used honda odyssey or a toyota sienna down the road. They both get good mileage and a four year old van runs like $8000. Toyotas are great cars (Dh and I both have corollas). I'll give him my corolla, and I'l drive the mini. Well sell his. His corolla is starting to fall apart lol, its 12 years old and had four drivers! Poor thing is dying a slow death.

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)