Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Can I Prepare Myself?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM
  • 12 Replies

It's almost bedtime, which is at 8PM. My dd has her usual bedtime temper tantrum forcing her grandma to put her to sleep every night. Grandma will also lie down with her and leave when she's asleep. Sometimes she ends up spending the night there. When my dd wakes up in the middle of the night, she refuses to let me even touch her to get her back to sleep. She only wants grandma. She used to be a good sleeper when we were sleep training her since 6 months. After 19 months, grandma got too involved and dd wasn't even sleeping in her own room anymore, she was sleeping with grandma and grandpa downstairs. Finally, I tried the Sleepeasy Solution method, but it didn't work because grandma was having a hard time putting up with the screaming and she always "rescued" her. Tonight I'm gonna try to use the Supernanny method; everytime she gets out of bed or her room I will put her back. How can I prepare myself to break her habit of sleeping with grandma and get her sleeping independently? I'm most concerned about grandma getting involved again at bedtime which I DON'T WANT. What worked for your kids when you were weaning them from co-sleeping? She is 2 years old and 2 months. But very advanced for her age and knows how to manipulate grandma to get her to stay in the room.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:02 PM

wave

Hi CoolMommy86

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Toddler Moms

All about Toddlers

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Kina2308
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:13 PM

i dont know any advice or you.  I never co-slept with my son.  but i can give you a bump so hopefully tomorrow night you can try something new

Good luck!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

mom_of_2monkeys
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM

can grandma possibly be somewhere else at bedtime? maybe a walk around the block. maybe dd won't fight so hard if grandma is not home, and grandma won't be home to interfer. good luck!

Jonasz & Chris         Sarah                   Luke                        Alex

5/27/00                     1/26/02                7/22/04                    4/26/08   

aleitch
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM

just keep putting her back in bed and let her scream. we had to do this with dd too. it took a couple nights of screaming but she eventually would just lay down and go to sleep and stay there. and tell grandma to stay downstairs!

BORICUAMOM52
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM

WELL,,U KNOW WHAT,,U R THE MOTHER N U R THE ONE THAT SAYS WHERE UR DAUGHTER SHOULDS SLEEP N IF U WANT HER 2 SLEEP IN HER ROOM THEN  U SHOULD MAKE SLEEP IN HER N STAY IN HER ROOM,,U R THE MOM,,UR THE AUTHORITY IN UR HOUSE NOT NO ONE ELSE. AS FAR AS THE GRANDMA..SHE SHOULD STEP ASIDE N LET U DEAL WITH UR DAUGHTER UR WAY N RESPECT WHAT EVER U DO WITH UR DAUGHTER,,,,CAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE SHE'S GOING OVER UR AUTHORITY N U'RE LETTING HER,,,U HAVE 2 B STRONG N LET HER KNOW WHO RULES!!!

CoolMommy86
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:46 AM

She finally fell asleep at 9:45 after many many times of coming out of her room and me picking her up and putting her back to bed. she was very persistant about getting grandma to come, but she didn't get what she wanted. My mom at one point threated me that she was going to call SS-I don't give a f**k I said nothing and kept trying to get my dd to stay in bed.

CoolMommy86
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:14 PM

So today, she hasn't had a nap since we played all day outside. Last night was hard, but she finally fell asleep. I ended up staying in the room (bad, I know-she was holding me hostage) and I snuck out when she was asleep. She slept the whole night and woke up only twice. The first time she wanted me to stay the second time she put herself back to sleep! This is gonna be night two. Should I stay in the room again and sneak out? Or would that set up another bad habit I would have to break? Please I need to know by tonight!

marine_wife_02
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM

It would be setting up another bad habit! Then she will be dependent on u being there with her to fall asleep she is old enough to put herself to sleep stick with it because that the only way it will work! Good luck

Quoting CoolMommy86:

So today, she hasn't had a nap since we played all day outside. Last night was hard, but she finally fell asleep. I ended up staying in the room (bad, I know-she was holding me hostage) and I snuck out when she was asleep. She slept the whole night and woke up only twice. The first time she wanted me to stay the second time she put herself back to sleep! This is gonna be night two. Should I stay in the room again and sneak out? Or would that set up another bad habit I would have to break? Please I need to know by tonight!

CoolMommy86
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM

At first the usual battle of leaving grandma and going into bedtime routine mode. Luckily, she's been tired from running around all day and before she went to Mcdonald's playplace. She was kicking and screaming when I told her its time to listen to grandpa song (her grandpa R.I.P has been a lifesaver!) he was a musician back in the 70s. Ever heard of Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band? Stony Browder? August Darnell? Anywho, I digress. She closed her eyes and started to relax while I rocked her to grandpa song. I didn't let her fall asleep completely though, then we had her favorite story (with no screaming), then hugs and kisses and her dollies and I said goodnight and walked out. She begged me to stay, but I said no. She kept walking out of the room screaming, and I kept walking her and tucking her in her bed. She did this only 7 times (last night more than 20) before mumbling something to her dollies and fell asleep at 9:20! I know its a little late, but I'm new to this thing..I'll try to get her to sleep at 8PM but do I begin the routine earlier or do the routine at 8PM?Any advice will help. I'm using the Supernanny method for those of you who just read my post today.

marine_wife_02
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 11:03 PM

if you want her asleep by 8 do the routine at 7:30pm rock her read her story and everything and walk out at 8pm and she will be asleep no later than 830 is what we do

Quoting CoolMommy86:

At first the usual battle of leaving grandma and going into bedtime routine mode. Luckily, she's been tired from running around all day and before she went to Mcdonald's playplace. She was kicking and screaming when I told her its time to listen to grandpa song (her grandpa R.I.P has been a lifesaver!) he was a musician back in the 70s. Ever heard of Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band? Stony Browder? August Darnell? Anywho, I digress. She closed her eyes and started to relax while I rocked her to grandpa song. I didn't let her fall asleep completely though, then we had her favorite story (with no screaming), then hugs and kisses and her dollies and I said goodnight and walked out. She begged me to stay, but I said no. She kept walking out of the room screaming, and I kept walking her and tucking her in her bed. She did this only 7 times (last night more than 20) before mumbling something to her dollies and fell asleep at 9:20! I know its a little late, but I'm new to this thing..I'll try to get her to sleep at 8PM but do I begin the routine earlier or do the routine at 8PM?Any advice will help. I'm using the Supernanny method for those of you who just read my post today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)