Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ear tubes and adenoid removal

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:50 PM
  • 13 Replies

My little boy is having ear tubes put in 2 weeks from now and his adneoids removed.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  How long does it take to recover from this surgery and how long are you in the hospital?

THANKS!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peacegiver
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM

My daughter had tubes put in a month ago. It doesn't take long for them to get over the surgary. She slept of the anesthia the same day and was back to her normal self the next day. So as long as there is no problems with the anesthia your LO should be up and around the next day. GL!!

Miranda83
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM

My daughter had this done when she was 1 1/2 she was fine within the next day it took about 30 mins in surgery. Beware they wake up very angry. Oh and also know the adenoids can grow back my daughter's did and she had to have them removed again when she was 4.  

bsmeisie
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:56 PM

my son is having this same surgery on friday!  He has had tubes before and it was so fast and the recovery was quick.  I hear this recovery is a little longer but the doc said he could go back to school on monday - so it doesnt seem like it will be bad.

jfjones0921
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM

My ds had it done a year ago.the surgery took maybe 20mins and our ENT made us stay for 3 hours to make sure there was no bleeding with the adenoid(all are different).DS was really whine that day and didn't sleep much once we got home and by the next day he was his normal self again.It's pretty easy recovery for kids

heather1229
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM

It's really easy, not to bad. I had both done when I was 10 or 11 I hated wearing ear plugs to take a shower and any other time you get close to water but you get used to them.

Trying to Conceive Ticker
Caiden_N_Dakota
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM

How old is your child?

My son was less than a year old when they put his tubes in and had a non-existent recovery time.. he took a long nap and woke up pain free..

His adenoid removal took place at 1 year old. He had bad breath and a sore throat (from what i could tell) for a couple of days...

rachelh2977
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM

my daughter had this done about 5-6 years ago, and she didnt have to stay in the hospital, it was an outpatient procedure, recovery time was very quick. the tubes fell out after a few years, and now she has perfect hearing.

mamaslilpunkin
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM

My dd had her adnoids removed last November,3 days before Thanksgiving, when she just turned 5 .The surgury took under 1 hour.She woke up groggy but not crying.By the evening,she ate a big helping of spaghetti and meatballs,garlic bread and a cookie.She complained for 2 days of a sore throat but it was nothing too bad.She was running around w/her cousins on Thanksgiving like it was nothing!

I am a coffee drinking,Christian,Portuguese/Irish,pro-life,troop-supporting,conservative,sahm,of 1 daughter,who goes to preschool,will be harnessed in her car seat till she doesn't fit in it anymore,is vaxed on schedule,plays outside just about any weather,organic and junk food eating,and has a mom who lets her climb,play and explore without hovering.  Wanna get a cup of coffee?

tyra618
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:03 PM

My son has had this done twice and the last time they took his tonsils as well.

It's a go in the morning leave in the afternoon thing.  Good luck to him how old is he.  Recovery is different for kids.   the first time Ethan was groggy and a little cranky.  He was 15 months old and slept a lot afterwords.  He cried I cried type thing.

The second time (5months before he turned 3) he came home and wanted to eat which was weird because they took his tonsils out and his adenoids again because who knew they could grow back. I didn't.  He didn't jump around or anything he was just hungry. he colored a lot and relaxed.  He did great for 2 days but then he started having trouble breathing and we went back to the hospital where they said his esophagus was swelling shut and his o2 stats where low..  He was transported (laying on me in an ambulance to a different hospital where we stayed for 3 days.)

Had he not had the esophagus issue his recovery would have been great. 

myfoursonsks
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:07 PM

My son just had his ears drained, they did not actually put tubes in and he had his adenoids removed.  It was a same day surgery and he acted like nothing had happened.

The only thing that was really interesting is that his ears were always so full of fluid that was being backed up by his excessively large adenoids, that he had lost most of his hearing.  The fluid would not allow his eardrums to vibrate so that he could hear.  When he was waking up from the anaesthesia, the first thing he said was, "Mommy, it's louder."  He was only 2 at the time.  Since he could hear and it was a noticeable change for him, we knew we had done the right thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)