Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any help for a single young mom of two

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

So heres the dealio

I'm almost 21 yrs old and I have a 3 yr old and 6 month old my husband (and my kids dad) left us when I was 8 months Pregnant for our son

I'm living with the parents and just applied to a medical school program for medical assistant

It all sounds so good but I had to take a student loan out for it and its a full time school how do I go into looking for grants and such (I know there out there somewhere) I'm so confused on everything right now  With the impending divorce and being a single mom out of the blue I was just asking for any advice on anything really

I often get depressed just thinking about the future of my kids and I  I'm a VERY independent person and all I want is a nice job and car and house for me and my life support ( I say that cuz without these two babes I wouldn't know what to do with myself)

Child support hasn't came in yet and its been 6 months since I filed He has a very good job n he's suppossed to be paying me 900 a month but I haven't gotten anything yet

I just want some encouraging words I guess

How could he just leave this

I can honestly say I never saw it coming we were so happy atleast I thought .......

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I'm so sorry mama, I really don't have a lot of advice, but makes sure that you have his wages garnished for the child support. It sounds like your doing the best for you and kids right now by living with your parents and going to school. Good luck.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM

 You CAN do this. Just keep your family and school as number one priorities and know that in ten years you will all be far better off. You need to make an appointment with a financial aid advisor. They can help you find scholarships and grants you can qualify for. Best wishes.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:46 PM

im sorry. Hope things start looking up. Your lucky you have your parents for some help 

by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I'm really sorry that you are going through this. The place to start for financial aid and grants would be by filling out your FAFSA. Submit that and it is based off of your tax information. If your taxes were filed with your now ex's info then you can always ammend your fafsa to reflect that. In the form there is a place to choose schools to have it submitted to and they will receive it and process that info for their own financial aid. The form will automatically be processed for federal Pell grants. You may have to fill out a financial aid form at your school though.

Another option would be to contact your workforce centers in the area and see if they have a "welfare to work"  type program. While you may or may not have been on any form of assistance, you may meet their requirements to qualify for financial educational assistance. Also, you might contact Catholic Family Charities if you have one in your area. Right after I got out of the Army and was a single mom struggling with college they issued a check for a few hundred dollars to the bookstore at my college, and it was applied towards my books and supplies.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM

check the web...there's a website you can sign up on that gives you info about grants and scholarships...I just don't remeber the name right now...and its free...good luck...

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Your babes are beautiful hon....just think of them when you are going about your business.  Its his loss that he left such a gorgeous family.....not yours!!!  Just keep doing what you are need to think about them in the long run....not yourself!!!  He will regret his actions someday!!!!  You are a good mom!!!  love yourself!!!

by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Also, I wanted to add a few more things:

1. With regards to your divorce...if you have not already retained legal council see if your state has a legal aid type program where, if you meet certain income qualifications, they will provide you with free legal representation for your divorce/custody/child support case. You may have to pay court fees or fees associated with the divorce itself that would be paid to the courthouse, but many places can also file a waiver for those fees based upon need.

2. With regards to childcare - call to the local public assistance office and see if they can refer you to any income based child care providers. Check with your school and see if they have the names of any income based child care providers. Also, if none of these the local area churches that offer daycare, explain the situation and see if they can do an income based childcare or know of anyone who can help with low cost childcare.

3. If you have to purchase your books, see if the program has a loaner or rental program for your books. This may save you a considerable amount of money as well.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:56 PM
Good for you! It is hard to go to school when the little ones are that young, but it will improve your life, and theirs! You could always hire a collection agency to chase him, or apply for assistance. Then they will chase him, and maybe even pay for you to go to school! As long as you are trying to better yourself, and train for a job, it might work out! Good luck!Check into whether the gov't pays something towards day care too!
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:58 PM

It's been six months since you filed and you're still not receiving it?  What is the hold up?  You should be getting it by now, that is just nuts.  Have you called them to find out what the deal is?

Also, as for you going to school, that is awesome.  I'm a single mom of three, I went back to  school and now have my bachelor's degree.  You can do it!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Sorry you are going through all of this, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Make sure you fill out your fafsa @ You might want to talk to someone about getting child support garnished out of the ex's check. (This way you know you'll recieve your support in a timely manner.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)