• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cat question...can you help??

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM
  • 10 Replies

I keep my house pretty darn clean and I scoop the cat's litter every other day and completely dump it at the end of the week BUT, on the mat outside his box (that catches litter so it's not all over the floor) I see little black bugs about the size of gnats...there isn't a ton but there are a few whenever I clean up his box and surrounding area. Is this normal?? Do you know what I can do to keep this from happening?? I thought I kept it clean enough, it never smells so I don't really know why it is happening.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itssweetness
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Ive never heard of this!!! And I have 3 cats.  What do they look like???

itssweetness

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I have 3 cats too & have never seen/heard of that before!  Could they be fleas?

prego7386
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:53 PM

hmmm maybe something in his fur...does he go outside?? maybe fleas? but if he goes outside he could have gotten some kind of bug form some flowers or something that he rubbed against and scratched them off by the litter box

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Hmm..I'm not sure, lol. Do you use a liner so that no moisture can leak through?

missy_1926
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Are the bugs oval and do they have like little spots on them? I'm only asking cause i have these bugs now in my livingroom window and i found some on my end table in my bedroom but they were all dead. We had the same ones last spring too.

mommytobeauty
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

maybe they're fleas? i just took my cat to the vet a few weeks ago to get neutered and he came back with fleas and i had no idea. I had these little red dots around my house that would appear anywhere he was with water and i looked it up and that was flea feces. I felt totally disgusted. my boyfriend came over and put that advantage flea medication and they all died the same day.

try vaccuuming that mat or replacing it and checking kitty for fleas. not sure if this is the problem but its just a suggestion "/

Mover
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I haven't heard of this either but it could be fruit flys. Thats just what I call them but I usually see them around the trash can.  When you dump the whole litter box, do you wash it out with soap and water -  or just refill?

shecallsmemom04
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:58 PM

yep, we've had them too.

bleach out the whole litter pan twice a month.  works for us.

jessicafawn76
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM

i have 4 cats and i scoop theres everyday i have never seen anything like bugs when i have cleaned there box.. How many cats do you have?? Maybe u should dump it all and clean the box with pine sol or bleach and clean the area where u have the litter box with the same cleaning solution and start over with fresh litter and see if that helps..

~Jess~

NattysMommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions!! I don't think the bugs are fleas, they don't jump they just walk around and I looked at the cat he doesn't seem to have anything on him and neither DH or I have noticed him scratching. Oh and he is an indoor cat too. The bugs are really tiny, plain black, spots lol....it is the best way to describe them. We don't use a liner, just litter...he has a covered box and I only find them on the mat and if the litter gets on the floor there are a few (like three, max) when I sweep.

I will bleach out his box and hopefully that helps. Again, thank you all so much!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)