Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms all about car seat safety....

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

i need help!! my 6 month old is going to be reaching the weight limit on her infant carseat very soon and i need some suggestions for good convertable carseats. i've been looking into the graco nautilus(not sure of the spelling) for my girls but i;m not sure if i can rear face it. but the harness holds a higher wieght than the carseat my 3 year old has now. that;s why i liked it. any suggestions, tips or advice on which carseat for my girls?

I am the partially breastfeeding/partcially formula feeding, independent sleeping, baby wearing, vaccinating, disposable diapering, public schooling, pro-life, full-time working, college educated young mama of two beautiful little girls!!!

Photobucket

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alouya21
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:14 PM

i have this car seat for my daughter and it is very comfortable on her. walmart has it real cheap. they have one for either a girl or a boy. i hope this helps

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8054497

Mamaz
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM

do you rear face it? most of the reviews say it's not so great for rear facing

I am the partially breastfeeding/partcially formula feeding, independent sleeping, baby wearing, vaccinating, disposable diapering, public schooling, pro-life, full-time working, college educated young mama of two beautiful little girls!!!

Photobucket

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10963083

Is a good seat.

The First Years True Fit C630 convertible car seat was awarded the highest-given rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Use from birth right up to a child weighing 65 pounds.
  • Highest given rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
  • Use from birth right up to a child weighing 65 pounds
  • Deep side wings are side-impact tested
  • Full EPP foam liner absorbs energy
  • Built-in lock provides secure installation without the use of confusing locking clips
  • Designed so there's less adjusting as your child grows
  • Removable headrest
  • Lower center of gravity allows for a deeper, taller and wider seating area without making the seat bigger on the outside
  • Easy-off pad makes it easy to wash and keep clean

Lindasmama
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM

you sgould check out the carseat safety group..The GN is for 2olbs and ff only.

Mamaz
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM

that's what i thought

Quoting Lindasmama:

you sgould check out the carseat safety group..The GN is for 2olbs and ff only.

Photobucket

alouya21
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Quoting Mamaz:

do you rear face it? most of the reviews say it's not so great for rear facing

yes u can rear face. that is what i did with my daughter. they have a place for the seat belt to go under where the child sits when it is facing rear. and one for when it is facing forward.

mommytwoboys
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:45 AM

I agree with the True Fit for your baby. It rear-faces to 35lbs and most kids can fit in it rear-facing until 35lbs. Then it foward faces to 65lbs. It is almost as tall as the Nautilus and would last your baby until she is 6 (about a safe booster age). It also has a 7 yr experation.

For the oldest I would definetly go with the Nautilus. Harness to 65lbs turns to booster then a backless. Great seat but foward facing only.

My 2.5 yr old is still rear-facing in his Britax Blvd. But the True Fit will last longer.

Good Luck!

River Kadence
pregnancy due date
Flower_Mom
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM

I've been keeping my eyes out for another car seat for similiar reasons. I did see the carseat listed at Walmart and was impressed. But, not with $179.00, that's a little steep. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good car seat, but not so high in the price?

sallymoon
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 6:16 AM

I have the True Fit and love it!  This seat is absolutely worth the price especially considering the numerous safety features, ease of use, comfort, and how long it can be used.  Car seat safety is one area that a parent should invest some money.  I got mine from Target.com when they had a free shipping deal.

mamalinzie
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:16 AM

The way I see it is that I am going to have to spend around $200 all together in order to keep my child RF to an appropriate age/weight, harnessed FF to an appropriate age/weight, and then the same with boostered.

You can do it one of two ways. You can get a Scenera for $50 now, which will RF the average kid to 2-3 years old, but will need to invest in something like the Nauitlus for $150 later to keep  harnessed and boostered longer.

Or you can get the True Fit now and a booster later. I opted for the True Fit now because it is the seat that will allow DD to be RF the longest, (due to the shell height) and that is the age that children are the most vulnerable and need the most protection.

Why does my toddler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)