Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should I expect? (leave the drama at the door)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have had problems with my dd and her not being able to or just not wanting to concentrate on her school work and, since 3rd grade, reading. Her teacher is concerned about it and called me at home which led to a 30 minute meeting this morning. My dd shrugged her shoulders when the teacher asked if there was something going on we (as adults) could help her with. I did find out she hasn't been wearing her glasses in school at all. She needs them fro reading and they are strong.

We asked if she was having problems concentrating because of an outside source and she said no. So her teacher asked if she was just having problems concentrating on general and she replied yes. I asked dd if she would like me to call her doctor and get a referral for a evaluation to see if she needs meds to help her, she said yes.

Well, she now has an appointment for May 1st and I am wondering what all will go on. What will happen during this eval to determine whether or not she had ADD (she's not hyper)? Will they give us things to try to help without us having to put her on drugs that will forever change how her brain works?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:17 PM

How much do you work with her at home???? Not trying to bash, just asking.

3armycuties
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM

ADD doesn't have anything to do with being hyper or not. It's just Attention deficit disorder. Could it be someone is picking on her about her glasses? Good luck momma!

momcat437
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM

The doctor will most likely have you fill out a questionnaire, and also have her teacher fill one out, too--lots of questions about her behavior in school and at home--then the doctor will review it and let you know what he/she finds.  If you're not keen on meds, let them know.  There's a lot of options, make sure you go thru them!  There's things you can do at home and at school to help your daughter.  Good luck, and God bless! 

Dreaming of that Paradise Earth...

jandyrodax
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:21 PM

My son (17 years old) was diagnosed as ADD in school.  He was put on meds and I didn't like it at all.  Eventually, I did take him off of them and he has done much better without them now, IMO.  As far the eval....it's been so long but if I remember correctly they ask a bunch of questions and have some stuff for you to answer questions on.  Some say you can try changing the childs diet and that is supposed to help. The only option we were given was the meds or no meds.....as sad as that is, but maybe things have changed since then.

Tisha1115
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I try to help but all she does is scream at me about how she doesn't need help, but them complains the work is to hard. If I'm not there someone is..my DF, her babysitter (I go to school as well), my parents, her dad and his DF. The problems started when she started school.

Quoting ajswenson:

How much do you work with her at home???? Not trying to bash, just asking.

Tisha1115
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Her teacher and I both asked her about that and she says no, but I wouldn't doubt it. I know ADD has nothing to do with being hyper but I have brought up questions about it before and it's like half the people think I am referring to ADHD. I guess some people just don't get that there is a BIG difference between the two. Actually, that's the only reason I even mentioned the hyper  part

Quoting 3armycuties:

ADD doesn't have anything to do with being hyper or not. It's just Attention deficit disorder. Could it be someone is picking on her about her glasses? Good luck momma!

tab9344
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I don't know about what is done during testing for ADD,

But have you & the teachers thought that maybe she is getting teased about her glasses, how smart she is, & other pre-teen things,

I have a 13 yr old neice who thinks that it's not cool to be smart, theirfore she acts dumb sometimes when she is around certain friends, & she is anything but dumb. Just a thought,

toddler boysimple smile

angel mini

Tisha1115
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Trust me we asked...if she is she is not telling us. We talked to her for 30 minutes, thanks to the teacher having a student teacher in her classroom she had the time for it.

Quoting tab9344:

I don't know about what is done during testing for ADD,

But have you & the teachers thought that maybe she is getting teased about her glasses, how smart she is, & other pre-teen things,

I have a 13 yr old neice who thinks that it's not cool to be smart, theirfore she acts dumb sometimes when she is around certain friends, & she is anything but dumb. Just a thought,

3armycuties
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Ok momma....I hope I didn't seem harsh. LOL like you said, some people don't realise the difference. Still wish you some good luck!

Quoting Tisha1115:

Her teacher and I both asked her about that and she says no, but I wouldn't doubt it. I know ADD has nothing to do with being hyper but I have brought up questions about it before and it's like half the people think I am referring to ADHD. I guess some people just don't get that there is a BIG difference between the two. Actually, that's the only reason I even mentioned the hyper  part

Quoting 3armycuties:

bettylou420
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:40 PM

dont let the dr push meds on her. it is so sad seeing so many kids hooked on legal drugs so young. my sister has been on antidepressants since she was a preteen. 15 years later she thinks they might be causing the real problem but cant deal with anything without them. you should try giving her essentail fatty acids(omega). they help your brain to work. i think of it as the oil in our cars. it is good for everyone. also your dd might just need some extra attention, even if she doesnt see it that way. good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)