Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby has only slept 2.5 hours in 3 days, he has a cold and just crys non stop. HELP!!!!?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM
  • 21 Replies

My 8 month old only slept 30 min last night and only 2 hours the night before, and wont go to sleep tonight. he is staying up all day and night crying non-stop. He does have a cold. He's never acted like this before, even when he had a cold before. How can i make him feel better and go to sleep? Do you think something more serious is wrong? DR just says let the cold run its corse. This will be the 3rd night in a row of no sleep for me, and I have to be at work in 5.5 hours
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baybbunches
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM

aw...poor baby!  whenever my daughter cant or doesnt want to sleep i just bring her into bed with me and she sleeps, well, like a baby!  that is the only advice i have....hope he feels better and you can get some rest!

Lilypie Breastfeeding PicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
4reasons2smile
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM

ok this happens to me before and when you said he has a cold the red lights when off are you giving him any cold medication if you are stop it for tonight except for some tylenol if he gets a fever try warm milk and the cold water humidifier if you have one ...cold medicatons are very dangerous and this is one of the first side effects...good luck and bump for update...blessings

ajswenson
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM

That's when I used to hold my babies all night while I slept propped up on pillows...sorry that's the best advice I've got.  Good luck....are you using a humidifier?? I swear by those things.  I love the Vicks one that you can add meds too.

MOMMYSLOVE13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM

jUST HANG IN THERE MAMA bump 

tyra618
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Is he having trouble breathing.  If so make your bathroom steamy. (run the hot water in the shower and shut the door.  Sit and play on bathroom floor)

If he is coughing a lot.  Take some vaseline and Vick's vapor rub and mix it (because he is only 8 months) rub it on his feet and put socks on him It really does help,

When he is crying does he have tears.  If not screw what your sons doctor said and go to the hospital.  Good luck.  Hope he gets better so you both can sleep. 

sallymoon
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Is he sleeping on an incline?  What medication have you given him?  He needs sleep to get better, so it might be a good idea to call the pedi and see what s/he has to say.

ILovetheOutdoor
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM

That's what i would do. My girls used to be colicky and act that way when they were really sick. What the doc recomended me to do is the hot water thing and then take her outside in the cold. I though it was crazy but the cold air got in her lungs and that helped. I did that 4-6 times a day for about 2 days and she was clear and being herself. dd's are 8 &9 and i still do that works like a charm.  If he doesn't have tears he is dehydrated take him to the er asap

Quoting tyra618:

Is he having trouble breathing.  If so make your bathroom steamy. (run the hot water in the shower and shut the door.  Sit and play on bathroom floor)

If he is coughing a lot.  Take some vaseline and Vick's vapor rub and mix it (because he is only 8 months) rub it on his feet and put socks on him It really does help,

When he is crying does he have tears.  If not screw what your sons doctor said and go to the hospital.  Good luck.  Hope he gets better so you both can sleep. 

andria0319
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM

My daughter is about 91/2 mths and she recently was sick. she cried for hours we gave her tylenol and her teethers -none of them worked. Try some music and dance with your baby sometimes that will soothe them and if that doesnt work and you still are worried take your baby to get checked out because sometimes doctors need a nudge to really take the time and check a baby out. I took my baby in after 3 days she ran a fever of 101.3 and ended up having and infection that could have spread to her liver and kidneys. Remember you can never be to causious.

Best of Luck

Andria*
Beth336
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:49 PM

i agree prop up your pillows lay baby on your chest your heart beat puts them to sleep and softly humm tunes to him or her. i always hummed to my kids and they actully humm them selves to sleep now its pretty funny. i hear a humming over the baby monitor its dd going back to sleep lol 

Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I would give him Tylenol and make sure when  you lay him down he is propped up on an incline. You can stuff a blanket or flat pillow under one side of his crib mattress. If he keeps crying like that, I would take him back to pedi to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection or something else too.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)