Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant and I may have been exposed to Fifth's Disease

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM
  • 15 Replies

So, I've never heard of this condition in my life.  But my mom came up to me and told me to make sure to wash my hands and avoid Lola, my brother's girlfriend's daughter.  Seeing as this girl and my daughter are the same age and play together on a daily basis that is very hard to do.  Both girls have had a typical (we thought) cold for a few days and now Lola, who is 3, has very red cheeks. It just started today, so we will know in a few days if the rash spreads that it is fifths disease.  I have been ready some info online and it says that it can be very dangerous during pregnancy... about 50% of people have pregnancy complications.  The other 50% have already developed an ammunity from the disease.  I know I never had symptoms like that, but I don't know if I've ever been exposed before.  I'm going to call my doctor first thing in the morning, but if I have been exposed to it and I'm not immune to it, it's already to late to do anything! And I'm freaking out!  Has anyone else had this happen?

its a boyOur family is growing! :)  ELI JAMES CLARK is due August 29, 2009

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Myroslava
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM

BUMP

bablondie
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM

I hope everything turns out okay with you. Good idea to talk to your doctor. I've never personally heard of it being harmful, you cannot always believe what's on the internet (sometimes info just scares us) but you never know.

I've had it before as a kid. It's just hot, or warm cheeks and looks like someone slapped you. I had nothing else as symptoms.

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Bump!

Proud Mommy to Rachel Joy!!

LaNette000
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Lord have mercy. Let's hope you haven't been exsposed, that would freak me out. 

gkm15099
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM

GET TO THE DR TOMORROW AND GET CHECKED!!!  If you have contracted it, it's imperative that you get treatment sooner than later...here's a link to an online friend of mine, who contracted 5ths during her last pregnancy.  Here son spent a long time in the NICU getting blood transfusion and everything, but he is doing well now.  (PS the mom has a great sense of humor, so understand that her writing is tongue and cheek!)

http://themeanestmom.blogspot.com/search?q=fifth%27s+disease

hldeskin
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Yea, my mom watches The Doctors all the time and I guess they did a special on different childhood diseases. The gyno doctor on there was saying how dangerous it can be. I'm really picky about what info online I believe and what I think is crap.  The things I have read are from pregnancy and health website, and it all seems to be legit.  Most of what it is saying is if a pregnant woman is infected with the disease it can cause severe anemia.  I think it said something like 6% can cause miscarriage. (Thats 6% of actually infected, so like 3% of pregnant women exposed.)  But... I think I'm just overthinking this.  I'll call my doctor in the morning and see what he wants to do.  The website say that a blood test should be done to test if the mother is infected.  If she is, they monitor the baby more closely with more ultrasounds and general appointments.  So we'll see...

Quoting bablondie:

I hope everything turns out okay with you. Good idea to talk to your doctor. I've never personally heard of it being harmful, you cannot always believe what's on the internet (sometimes info just scares us) but you never know.

I've had it before as a kid. It's just hot, or warm cheeks and looks like someone slapped you. I had nothing else as symptoms.

sweetluvo02
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:53 PM

my kids had fifth disease while I was pregnant and their ped never said anything about it being dangerous to me and my baby turned out just fine.  Its not a DISEASE its a virus.  It is called fifth disease but thats the name.  Its just a virus.  Like your mom said, wash your hands, a lot and keep things clean, to not spread the germs any further.  If you dont have sign of a cold which are the beginning sign and when its most contagious I wouldnt worry about it.  Also its likely you are immune to it already.  It is most common in kids ages 5-15. 

sweetluvo02
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I also found this on WebMD this was the last paragraph on it.

If you are pregnant or have a weak immune system or certain blood disorders, see your doctor. Fifth disease can cause problems for the fetus of a pregnant woman, but this is not common.

http://children.webmd.com/tc/fifth-disease-topic-overview

pinnapple
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM

i was exposed to it when i was pregnant.  go to the dr and get a blood test. thats what i had to do. i wa immuned to it but my dr didnt seem too worried.

hldeskin
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Yea, thats a relief... 

But WebMD has some sketchy things on there from time to time.  I guess all these online websites and resources do.  And every doctor is different... one may treat this like it's the end of the world, and another may treat it like it is nothing.  We lost a baby last summer, though, so my doctor has be on high risk treatment anyways. I'm sure he'll want to see me ASAP.

Quoting sweetluvo02:

I also found this on WebMD this was the last paragraph on it.

If you are pregnant or have a weak immune system or certain blood disorders, see your doctor. Fifth disease can cause problems for the fetus of a pregnant woman, but this is not common.

http://children.webmd.com/tc/fifth-disease-topic-overview

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)