Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has this ever happened to you?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok my DS is 11 months old (he will be 1 the first of May).  He gets absolutely NO table food.  I was buying baby food for him a few weeks ago and this woman in the store asked me how old he was.  I told her and she had a FIT that he was eating baby food!  She just started hollering at me about being a bad mom blah blah blah and how all her kids at table food as soon as they had teeth etc.  Then she actually had the guts to try to prevent me from getting to the shelves with food on them.  I was livid.  I'm sorry but why is it anyone's business what he eats?  He likes baby food.  He's eating 3rd foods so its not like I'm not giving him enough to eat.  Plus he does eat things like Gerber puffs, yogurt, dried fruit, etc.  I just don't give him anything that I eat.  I don't want him getting any of the preservatives, extra sugar, salt, etc. 

My DS also will not drink out of a sippy cup.  I've tried so many different ones.  I've got a cupboard full.  He just doesn't like them.  People also give me crap for him drinking out of a bottle.  He's not even a year old yet!  He only drinks 3 bottles a day.  Why the problem?

Has anyone ever had someone bash them for how/what the feed their child?  Or am I the only one?

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jamtay21881
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM

That's ridiculous! I prob woulda went off on that chick! It's not like you are hurting the kid or anything. There is a reason for the third stage foods. The bottle thing is ridiculous too! I didn't start waning my son off the bottle until he turned 1. If you go much longer after that it can do damage to their teeth. Some people are just rude and should keep their mouths shut.

Mommy_Gi
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM
Ohhh all the time...i don't think i gave my dd table food until she was at least one...i think the same as you i think our food is full of preservative and sugar. Well where i am from we eat very different than here and people always gives me crap like they have a saying on what i do with my kids... WHATEVER!!!!

bablondie
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I'd just roll my eyes and say "lady if you got a problem with it, talk to the doctor".

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I did go off on her but she couldn't understand me.  I know some pretty nasty things in a few different languages.  French mainly... 

Quoting jamtay21881:

That's ridiculous! I prob woulda went off on that chick! It's not like you are hurting the kid or anything. There is a reason for the third stage foods. The bottle thing is ridiculous too! I didn't start waning my son off the bottle until he turned 1. If you go much longer after that it can do damage to their teeth. Some people are just rude and should keep their mouths shut.

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one.

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM

No one else has had this happen? Lol

PinkBugz
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Sounds like a raveing lunitic. 

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Lol yea she sounded a little off her rocker to me too.  After I left the aisle I looked at my son and said "baby, that lady is flat out nuts!" he laughed.

Quoting PinkBugz:

Sounds like a raveing lunitic. 

rmattes
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Not like that!!! What a..... I didn't give my dd table food until she was one. But my sister gave her CABBAGE when she was about 10 months old. I was so pissed! What I feed my child is my choice. Unless my pedi says there is a problem, BACK OFF!

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Lol yep. 

Quoting rmattes:

Not like that!!! What a..... I didn't give my dd table food until she was one. But my sister gave her CABBAGE when she was about 10 months old. I was so pissed! What I feed my child is my choice. Unless my pedi says there is a problem, BACK OFF!

nemiller
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM

i've NEVER had anyone approach me in that way, and it wouldn't fly even if they tried.  i honestly don't know if it's luck or my aura, but people just don't really seem too eager to question me.  i might catch a dirty look every once in awhile, but a little eye contact and a "what?" look seems to fix that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)