Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do if I get a lot of stuff from family for Easter, but we don't give back?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

What I mean is we really don't celebrate it, so I never send anyone cards, flowers or anything, but we do DO stuff as a family. Like this year, the zoo and dinner out or something. But the grandparents on all sides, and aunts/siblings send us tons of candy, gifts, movies, books, cookies, gift cards (I mean like xmas almost!)....

Do we just say thank you, send thank you emails or cards. I don't want to feel "obligated" into doing candies, gifts back since that's just something we do not do.

Anyone in the same position and how do you or would you handle it? Should we just chalk it up as something fun that grandparents and aunts love to do (spoil their grandkids type of thing?)

We are truly appreciative our family thinks of us btw, they know we do not make a big deal of it. Most times we give the candy and cookies to coworkers at work since we really don't eat a lot of candy at our house (we just aren't candy lovers).

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ILOVEJAYANDHAY
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Just continue with what you do anyways...i don't think the thank you cards are even necessary. No need to give back...I beleive this holiday is more child oriented anyways.

mommy graphics

tgirl715
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:11 AM

I am sure its something they really enjoy doing. My family goes way overboard and we don't usually give anything back. I think a thank you is just fine. I wouldn't send a card and actually I don't send any.

Haleigh Alexis

KittyD
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:15 AM

my sil is total opposite expects everyone to give her and her kids shis but doesn't give back...dislike her a lot! and she is one of my kiddos god mothers too...only gave him a 5 buck movie for his last bday...yup she even tried to say that she forgot she was my kids godmother...aaah!

KittyD ~ Stop by my page & sign my Guestbook!

bablondie
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Yeah, I think it's just something the grandparents like to do. But I'll spoil my mom and MIL on mother's day, I suppose.

Quoting tgirl715:

I am sure its something they really enjoy doing. My family goes way overboard and we don't usually give anything back. I think a thank you is just fine. I wouldn't send a card and actually I don't send any.

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Gifts shouldn't be given with strings, like expecting a gift back. A simple thank you would be enough.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
meandmybean
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Just send thank you cards to everyone!

bergencounty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I  think a picture of the kids with all the goodies in a thank you card  would be much appreciated. If your children are old enough they should write the card.

If you want to give a gift and the kids are little, your child's artwork can be framed [$1 store frame] or laminated and the child can give the artwork to the relatives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)