Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What makes a good mommy ?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:44 PM
  • 17 Replies

What are qualities that you think make a good mother? What are some of the key things? Is it being a good provider financially, breast feeding, patience, teaching values ....?  On the flip side what makes a bad mommy? Leaving kids in the car, smoking,  PA?  I don't think there are clear cut right and wrong answers, just curious what other moms think. Just for fun, curiosity, and maybe learning a little something. A debate is welcome  but I really don't want this to be a bash fest. 

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
livingonmyknees
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM

A good mother is one who is willing to sacrifice for her children, one who researches her decisions instead of just doing whatever other people tell her is best, one who teaches her children love, respect, values, & morals. One who loves on her babies every chance she gets.

Mommy_Gi
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM
I think i have a lot to learn still but what makes me think i am doing something right is when i see how well behaved my dd is...she is super smart, super sweet and she always says her thank you, please, excuse me. While kids in the play-area is being mean and not letting kids play she is the kid who waits her turn and let small kids go first!!! I think she rocks and she must have learn this from someone!!! :)

Moniker
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Awesome response !!  Love, respect, and morals are just .....non existant in many children, it seems.

Quoting livingonmyknees:

A good mother is one who is willing to sacrifice for her children, one who researches her decisions instead of just doing whatever other people tell her is best, one who teaches her children love, respect, values, & morals. One who loves on her babies every chance she gets.

Moniker
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I think like you do, I still have a lot to learn about being a good mommy. Your daughter does sound like she's doing wonderful and she did learn it somewhere. It's not by chance she has such good qualities, it takes a lot of effort to teach a child to behave well. I know many times, mine doesn't.  How did you get her to share?  Do you have a hard time finding other nice children for her to play with? 

Quoting Mommy_Gi:

I think i have a lot to learn still but what makes me think i am doing something right is when i see how well behaved my dd is...she is super smart, super sweet and she always says her thank you, please, excuse me. While kids in the play-area is being mean and not letting kids play she is the kid who waits her turn and let small kids go first!!! I think she rocks and she must have learn this from someone!!! :)

Mommy_Gi
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM
One thing i did that really worked is i started teaching her early on, even when she didn't even talk i would tell her things like she needed to share, she needed to be nice and respectful, my dh thought i was crazy but kids is like a sponge they learn everything even as a baby. My step sister had her boy 2 months after i had my dd so they are always together...and now she has a friend who is also 2 months younger than her and i will tell you she does not like to share and its hard for my dd because how do i tell her to share when her little friend doen't... but i talk to her daily that people not always are nice but she needs to be.

Quoting Moniker:

brodeysmom
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM

i think a good mother is one who puts her children's needs first and takes them into consideration always. she's also one who lets them know that they're her everything whether it be by squeezing them every chance she gets or telling them how amazing/beautiful/wonderful/(any other good thing that pretains to your child) every chance she gets. having a lot of money doesn't necessarily make a good mommy. but love and wanting her children to be happy and healthy and doing whatever she can to keep them that way does.

MarlaSinger808
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Quoting Mommy_Gi:

One thing i did that really worked is i started teaching her early on, even when she didn't even talk i would tell her things like she needed to share, she needed to be nice and respectful, my dh thought i was crazy but kids is like a sponge they learn everything even as a baby. My step sister had her boy 2 months after i had my dd so they are always together...and now she has a friend who is also 2 months younger than her and i will tell you she does not like to share and its hard for my dd because how do i tell her to share when her little friend doen't... but i talk to her daily that people not always are nice but she needs to be.

Quoting Moniker:

I think you are an awesome mom..I wish there were more like you!  There aren't enough people in the world who really teach their children respect and to put others ahead of yourself even when they aren't reciprocating..I tried to do that with my children and although they got hurt by others growing up, they are kind, caring generous adults who would never deliberately hurt anyone, no matter how they're treated.  You are doing the right thing :)

Moniker
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Quoting MarlaSinger808:

Quoting Mommy_Gi:

Quoting Moniker:

I think you are an awesome mom..I wish there were more like you!  There aren't enough people in the world who really teach their children respect and to put others ahead of yourself even when they aren't reciprocating..I tried to do that with my children and although they got hurt by others growing up, they are kind, caring generous adults who would never deliberately hurt anyone, no matter how they're treated.  You are doing the right thing :)

I just wanted to agree with this too. You are doing a very good thing.  I'm kind of struggling with this with my son right now. He's the kid, at the store with the train displays if another kid comes over and tries to take his train he just hands it to him. At the park, he'll hang back and let another child go down the slide first.  He started preschool in sept and I think it was the worst thing I ever did.  At first he was the kid sort of being walked over. I don't think the teacher was the greatest.  There were some really aggresive boys in his class. I feel like all he learned from preschool was not to share and other bad behavior.

boy_or_girl
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM

For me......being a good mom is not always about what you do, it is why you do it. We all at one point or another have used the tv for a babysitter or let our kids do or have something just to make things easier. But it is the ones that always chose the easy way out and give in to their kids or do fast food every night, or use tv everyday....in other words always choose these things rather than deal with a screaming upset child. Now the parent that does not like to hear their child upset or screaming, but knows that it is better for their child to have boundries and not to give in to the easy stuff all the time just so life would be much easier. Is this making sense to any of you out there??

TrezsMom
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:13 AM

To me a good mommy is a woman who knows her children's personalities and fosters them and disciplines them accordingly. Someone who is attentive to their needs and builds them up. A woman who prepares her children to succeed in life on their own and teaches them life skills to survive and thrive. To let them be them and not push your own wants and dreams on them and their lives. To prepare them for life and foster them individual they are.

To me a bad mommy is a woman who doesn't care about her children's needs and doesn't try to make them feel safe and secure and like they have a good place to turn to when they need somewhere soft. And a woman who neglects all of her childrens's other needs; including physical and emotional. Obviously a bad mommy would be one who allowed her child to be in harms way in whatever way that might be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)