Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For Christian moms, how do you talk to your little ones about Easter?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son is 3 and I am guilty of not talking to him about Easter except for baskets and bunnies. This is not what I want to be teaching him but I don't know what to say to him. Christmas was somewhat easier, it's pleasant and simple. It was Jesus' birthday....but Easter?  Help, please.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3armycuties
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I have simply told my kids the truth. I said that Jesus had to die so that we could go to heaven with Him and God. My son started asking about communion and I told him what it was so that helped.

4reasons2smile
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:53 PM

first is not Jesus b-day..is his death and resurecction on the 3rd day...i was though that this holy week was just that THE HOLY WEEK we didint do nothing but watch movies about everything that Jesus went thru...Friday we werent allowed to eat anything but fish and veggies..we didint listen to music or clean we had the house ready the week before and then sunday we celebrate his resurrection....now this might be a little extreme for some...what i do with my children is have a very quite week we watch a movie a day about what happened...and sunday we celebrate Jesus resurrection...then a nice dinner...

Humboldt0608
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM

She wasn't implying that Easter was Jesus' birthday. She was talking about how Christmas was easier to explain because the birth of Christ is a little more easier to explain to a small child than his death.

To the OP. I'm just as guilty as you, so don't feel bad. My son turned 3 this year and I think that I'm going to let him wait it out until next year. 

Quoting 4reasons2smile:

first is not Jesus b-day..is his death and resurecction on the 3rd day...i was though that this holy week was just that THE HOLY WEEK we didint do nothing but watch movies about everything that Jesus went thru...Friday we werent allowed to eat anything but fish and veggies..we didint listen to music or clean we had the house ready the week before and then sunday we celebrate his resurrection....now this might be a little extreme for some...what i do with my children is have a very quite week we watch a movie a day about what happened...and sunday we celebrate Jesus resurrection...then a nice dinner...

livingonmyknees
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM

My DD is still too young to understand. But in the future I plan to tell her that God had sent His son, that Jesus went around telling people about God & His love for people, how to get to Heaven to be with Him. That people were very mean to Him & did not believe what He was saying, so they decided to kill him & it was all part of God's plan. That Jesus was put on a cross & forced to go through many mean & awful things to die so that our sins (bad behaviour) would be forgiven & then we will go to Heaven. And that after He died, that he was resurrected after 3 days.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:54 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms
Preschooler Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

> The Cafe Group Admin Team

stampinmom315
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:21 AM

It really helps when you have your kids in Sunday school.  My son has been in Sunday school since well forever....he understands it because his teachers talk about Jesus every day....it makes him a more real person to them.  I tell him that the easter bunny and baskets are just the way we celebrate the gift god gave us, by allowing his son to die for us as a sacrifice.  He knows what a sacrifice is because he has been taiught the stories of Abraham and Isaac, and other things like that.  If you can get your kids in church programs it is the best foundation for them!  It helps me out a lot, because I am not good at relating things in kid's terms.    Good luck!

LWRIGHT13
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:27 AM

With my kids I let them enjoy the "novelty" of the  day eggs, candy, baskets,& peeps!! but we do also talk about why we celebrate it too, it was tough and I was vague at at first saying things like we are celebrating because Jesus saved us all and went to haven to make a home for us.I also went online and got some Pre K study tips and then as he got older (hes 7 now) it got easier for him to understand. Best of luck and Happy Easter!!

meandmybean
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM

We celebrate Easter in the traditional way. On the other hand I will explain to her how each holiday originated. That means the Pagen festival of lights for Christmas, St. Patrick murdering Pagens, and the Pagen fertility holiday behind Easter. With that said, I will also teach her about the Christian meaning of those holidays.

Schools don't really teach them so I feel it is the parents job to educate their child.

TwoMoreisFour
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:13 AM

This has been very difficult for me as well.  My kids are 3 and 4.  Through the encouragement of others I have decided to go ahead and tell them about Easter simply.  They are learning this at church as well.  That Jesus died on the cross to save us for our sins.  That we all have sinned.  We all make mistakes and do wrong things.  And that on Easter we celebrate because Jesus rose from the dead.  My four year old is talking a lot about death right now.  At MDO she was playing die with some other kids.  They were pretending to be dead while another doctored them back to life.  This upset me at first.  But then I remember how my niece was fastinated with death when she was about her age.  It is such a difficult concept to process that she is just working through it.  I think it is good to go ahead and plant seeds of truth.  Don't have to harp on the dying, but more the celebration that He rose.  If they have questions answer honestly and simply.  My three year old actually just takes it for what it is.  He like okay and moves on.  Still hard to think of our kids even to have to know what dying is.  They will see pets, relatives, and even ladybugs and worms die.  We need to be the ones to not shy away from it like it.  I am still working through it all as well.

blondmom123
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I teach sunday school for 3 and 4 year olds at our church. We are very upfront with the kids on the Christian origins of holidays. For instance we explain that Christmas is when we celebrate Jesus's birth, Easter is when we celebrate Jesus's death and resurrection. We really stress the resurrection because that is what it all comes down to for a Christian. Jesus conquering death and sin to give us eternal life. If you stress the fundamentals now at a young age, then the trickier parts of Christianity will have a firm foundation of knowledge to build on. In our home we celebrate the coming of springtime on Easter as well. The egg decorating, the new dresses, they all represent new life which is what Easter is all about. So I think you are doing great, introduce the Christian aspect and if you want you can keep the more secular part too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)