Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick question on minors leaving home... *Update #2*

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM
  • 34 Replies

My sister just took off on my parents. She's 17. We live in California. I know that some states allow 17 year olds to leave home, but I'm wondering if CA is one of those states. Can someone help me out real quick please? I tried to Google it but it's taking too long.

Update...
My sister called my dad today and allowed her "friend" to say very mean things to him, called him a bastard and told him he was a bad parent. When my sister got back on the phone, he asked her if she agreed and she said yes. My dad said he has officially thrown in the towel. He is so hurt by her. He just told her to let him know what role she wants him to play in her life, if any. My father is an absolutely wonderful man. My sister is just mad because she has to follow his rules.
NO ONE will EVER get away with calling my father a bastard. So, I called the cops. (Not to report the language, obviously...but for real reasons.) They told me that they would simply make her go home. I just basically want to scare them and give them a reality check so I gave them my sister's number AND her friend's number. The officer called them while I was still on the phone with them but neither answered. I'm not sure if she left a message or not. Well a few minutes ago I got a call from a private number and then an unblocked number. The unblocked number happened to be similar to my sister's friend's number so I know it was probably her calling from her mom's phone or something. I didn't answer it though. I don't want to and shouldn't have to deal with her friend. All I want is my sister to go home, where we know she's safe.
Initially, my mom wasn't happy that I called the cops. She didn't want to bring them into it. But after I told her that they aren't gonna do anything drastic, she was ok with it. My dad didn't mind that I called at all. He was going to himself until my sister hurt him the way she did. I honestly don't care how mad she gets at me for this. I am infuriated with her.

This is my update. Thanks to you ladies who stuck it out with me last night. I'll let you know what else happens!

Update # 2...
So my sister's other friend called the friend my sister is staying with. She said that my sister is staying in the mountains with her boyfriend this weekend. And I found out who the number I didn't recognize was. It was the cops lol. They were calling me to let me know that they talked to my sister's friend and she told them the same thing, that my sister is staying in the mountains with her boyfriend.
Tomorrow we're having a family gathering for Easter and my sister is supposed to go. If she decides to bring her boyfriend it's gonna be pretty awkward considering my husband, dad, aunt, and numerous other family members want to have a little "talk" with him. I'll have to let you know what happens then. Ohhhhhh boy.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommywillU
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Just call the police department and ask if you can file a missing children's report on your 17 year old sister.

KittyD
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Quoting mommywillU:

Just call the police department and ask if you can file a missing children's report on your 17 year old sister.

KittyD ~ Stop by my page & sign my Guestbook!

knejjemckinney
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Thanks...

I don't wanna file a report or anything though. Maybe I'll call and ask what the law is. My poor mom is devastated and my dad is so mad that he won't even go in the house. They've always been way too lenient on her and now they're paying the price. I'm the one who gives them advice on how to handle her. I only have a 7 month old! Oh the joys to come...

jasminesmomm175
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM

i dnt belive they can im pretty sure its 18

mommamatthews
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM

bump

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:04 AM

I searched online and I read something that says it's 18 in every state including CA.

Proud Mommy to Rachel Joy!!

starleigh21
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:04 AM

The age of majority in CA is 18. Anyone under 18 is a minor. It is not legal for a minor to leave home without parental consent unless they have been emancipated.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_legally_move_out_at_age_17_in_California_without_having_to_get_an_emancipation

knejjemckinney
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM

That's what I thought too. I'm gonna give the police department a call right now to see for sure what it is. I finally found the number. I am so stressed out and she isn't even my child! I try to just be her sister and be supportive of her but it's really hard when she does something like this. My parents are very loving and great, but she got in trouble for puling an all-nighter and now she's saying my dad is being too hard on her. I'm like, hello?! You're just getting consequences for your actions. I don't care how mad at me she gets for this this time. It's completely unacceptable.

Quoting jasminesmomm175:

i dnt belive they can im pretty sure its 18

ceemuhreeashbee
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM

It really depends on the police department as well- I'm in Oregon and a friend of mine's brother left home just a couple weeks before he was going to turn 18 and the cops said there was not a whole lot they could do since he was so close to being 'of age'. - I think they meant, sure they could attempt to find him and bring him home, but in a matter of weeks it wouldn't matter.

knejjemckinney
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Yea, that makes sense. But she still has until September. I'm trying to calm my mom down and let her know its not her fault and at the same time telling my dad to get over his anger towards my mother and realize that she's upset and go comfort her. I mean, it's not her fault my sister took off!

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

It really depends on the police department as well- I'm in Oregon and a friend of mine's brother left home just a couple weeks before he was going to turn 18 and the cops said there was not a whole lot they could do since he was so close to being 'of age'. - I think they meant, sure they could attempt to find him and bring him home, but in a matter of weeks it wouldn't matter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)