Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Day 3's the worst...man, they weren't kidding.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

So, Day 3 post-op (tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy) has been f'ing HORRIBLE. After trying to give DS his meds earlier today and him crying, screaming, then coughing uncontrollably I lost it myself. The crying and screaming I can handle, but as told by the ENT, if he starts coughing too hard the scabs can tear off and bleeding can start...I just freaked out and started crying. This happens nearly everytime I have to give him his meds. There's really no way to explain to my special needs 5 year old that as much pain as he's in, if he doesn't take the hydrocodone it's going to be 100x worse. All he knows is it hurts to swallow, and this sh*t is disgusting lol. 

I have to give him his med's again in a half hour and I'm nearly in a panic and trying to figure out how to do this without another coughing fit...

And to think, yesterday I thought "This is a breeze!" LOL. Serves me right for being all smug!   

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrssundin
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:05 AM

i am so sorry to hear about your son, but i have been there in the med department.  i have four kids, and one of them has special needs and she is the easiest one to give meds too.

PurpleNurples
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Is he drinking enough?  Can you give him some Benadryl or something?  I'm so sorry.  When my oldest had it done, it was a breeze.  I didn't have any problems like that.  ((hugs)) It's ok to cry.  Damn, I've been known to lock myself in the bathroom and flail myself on the floor kicking and screaming, WHILE crying before.  :)

flying bunny

JudeandLucy
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:14 AM

He just woke up a few minutes ago (good timing!) and it started out a fight lol, but when he figured out I wasn't giving him the option of spitting it out (I was holding his head back a bit- not enough that he'd choke- and wouldn't let him turn his head either) he finally gave up and just swallowed it.

He's drinking enough, he's got 4-5 wet pull ups a day, but I know if he'd just drink more he'd feel at least a little better. But, like I said, I could explain this to him til I'm blue in the face lol, but he's just not gonna get it.

On the bright side, his sleep apnea is gone :-)

hattiemae1
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM

day 3 and 4 were horrible for us.  conner was 2.5 when he got the tonsils and adenoids out.  the only way we could get him to take the meds was to sit him in time out until he did it.  that was the only thing that worked for us, and man did it work!  that was the hardest week of my life as a mother so far, so glad i'm never going to have to go through that again...  best of luck!  try the time out thing if nothing else is working...

hattiemae1
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM

also with conner, he lived on carnation instant breakfast for a week.  he lost like 7 lbs in a week, it was crazy!  we found that with him, once the meds were taken and he was feeling better, we would give him his drinks with a straw...  they can drink it a lot quicker that way and are able to get more in before the meds wear off...

Ali_Colio
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I had my tonsils out last year give him CONSTANT cold water that helps with the pain A LOT! I had my hubby wake me up in the middle of the night to drink water and take my pain meds.

Also I had my throat open twice from coughing the first time i went to the hospital all freaked out. You know what they gave me...Ice water to gargle LOL. Yup that's it. he will be feeling much much better over the next couple of days.

Remember Kids take pain better than adults. And I HATE pain.

GOOD LUCK MAMA!

MelaniesMama
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:22 AM

This is what my cousin did when her DD had her tonsils removed when she was 4.  Get on of those popsicle that are bought liquid form and you freeze them......I cant think of what they are called...long and thin?

cut the VERY top off saving as much plastic as possible and eat a little of it.  Let it thaw out (in the plastic, dont dump it out) and mix the meds with it. (I dont know how much meds you have to give him as far as affecting flavor...if it makes it nasty maybe make 2?)  Then fold the tip a few times and paper clip it.  Put it in a tall glass and put it back in the freezer. (the glass is ot make sure it doesnt tip over and possibly leak all over te freezer.)  The popsicle will sooth his throat and he will be getting his meds at the same time!

Hope that wasnt confusing!!
Hope he feels better soon!

JudeandLucy
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Yeah...it's been pretty bad! Not to mention the poor kid is starving, and for some freakin' reason MIL decided to bring him chicken nuggets...that I then had to tell him he couldn't have...but that's a whole 'nother rant lol.

Quoting hattiemae1:

day 3 and 4 were horrible for us.  conner was 2.5 when he got the tonsils and adenoids out.  the only way we could get him to take the meds was to sit him in time out until he did it.  that was the only thing that worked for us, and man did it work!  that was the hardest week of my life as a mother so far, so glad i'm never going to have to go through that again...  best of luck!  try the time out thing if nothing else is working...

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Sorry, babe! I hope he gets better soon!

katielovemyboys
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 3:57 AM

Sorry things are going so rough! Hang in there mama! Stay strong!!!!

Katie~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)