Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What happens if you fail the three hour glucose test?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

Two weeks ago i failed the one hour glucose test and tomorrow i will be taking the three hour glucose test. I'm just wondering what is the next step if i fail this one. Thank girls in advance.

Baby Slings at Nurtured FamilyPregnancy ticker

by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaddiesMaMa418
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM

They'll probably tell you that you have gestational diabetes and put you on some dietary restrictions. I'm not sure if they give you meds or not though.

Need to let it out?
Group Owner : Whatever You Say...
Not so new to Cafemom?
Group Owner: Veterans of Cafemom

*Looking for creative, active moms for admins in both groups*
COTM Admin:  Home Interior Decorating Ideas and Tips

themacs4
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Well, I failed the three hour one twice...When I took my 1 hour one, my #'s were a little high, so my MW wanted me to take the 3 hour one.  The numbers on those were high, too, but not enough to be considered GD, so a month later, she had me take it again.  I failed that one & had GD.  I had to check my sugar levels 4 times a day, watch what I ate.  My GD was diet controlled, so I did not have to take insulin.

I suppose if you fail it, your dr. will instruct where to go from there.  Good Luck!!  Lots of people fail the 1 hour one, but pass the 3 hour one!

celticreverie
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Diet changes. There is an increased risk of larger babies, but it's not always the case. 

Gestational Diabetes isn't always serious, it's doctors looking for a disease. Here's some good info on GD. Henci Goer writes some very informative, and wonderful articles.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I have failed it twice...

With my first pregnancy, my high risk doctor "controlled" it by diet and exercise.. I checked my blood glucose levels 4 times daily and gave the results to the doctor weekly. I also had u/s every week after 30 weeks. My daughter was stillborn due to my not being on insulin..the HR doctor mishandled my condition and the result was heartbreaking. Kahlan was stillborn at 36 weeks.

My second pregnancy I checked my blood sugar 4 times a day, and watched my diet. I had already been treating myself as if I had the diet ( with the exception of a couple of Peanut Buster Parfaits in the beginning) when I was diagnosed. I was actually checked at 8 weeks and then again at 24 weeks. At 24 weeks is when I was diagnosed. I was immediately put on the diet and on insulin after the first week of the diet and my levels being too high. I was given weekly NST's by my regular OB/GYN and then a weekly u/s by the high risk OB. I was admitted to the hospital once during my pregnancy and my diet was closely monitored and they ended up increasing my insulin  for the second time. I was placed on complete bed rest for my GD and for hypertension, so I was unable to exercise at all. At 34 weeks 3 days, I was at my NST when I was sent to the hospital to deliver.. I had Pre-E all of a sudden. 3.5 hours after I arrived my dd was delivered via c-section ( repeat). They tested me for 2 days and my dd was tested for a week. She was in NICU for 3 weeks 1 day. (she had heart issues)

Most OB's will change your diet and exercise first and then will look at your glucose levels and decide whether to administer insulin or not.( I lived on chicken, steak, sweet potatoes, salad, water, and peanut butter for my whole pregnancy... the day after I had our dd my dh brought me a Peanut Buster Parfait from DQ in the hospital. It was so yummy!)

Claire

melibear5715
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM

thanks girls so much

_3_0_due-in-june
luv2wahm
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I failed the 3 hour with my last two pregnancies. I had to check my blood sugars 4 times a day, meet with a dietician/diabetes nurse once a week, I couldn't control it with diet so I had to take insulin 3 times a day. My dr's appointments went weekly, I had a nonstress test, and biophysical profile sonogram weekly as well.

caiti
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I failed the first one, but passed the 3 hour one. Don't freak out if you fail it though, they'll most likely limit your diet and have you attend a seminar or something about it. If it's high, they may have you check your blood sugar.

LibraryLady200
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I failed the 3 hour with my last pregnancy. They tried changes in diet (which I followed meticulously) and I got my glucose under control. It was hard to eat so perfectly but you know it's for your baby's health so you do it!

If you are unable to control your diet, you may end up on insulin. Good luck.

Neeters1
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I am so sorry about your loss of your baby.  Some doctor are dopes!  When I was pregnant with my first child I got GD.  They had a hard time keeping my blood sugars under control, and put me on insline, which was fine with me, but my sugar levels were going up instead of down, so they would increase it a bit more, and then my sugar levels went up more, and the more they increased it, the more that my blood sugars would go up.  My OB then was telling me that I was getting to fat and that I needed to eat less and so on.  I was not eating much as I was trying to keep my blood sugars down.  It was not until the OB that I was seeing left for another state when I started to see another OB that freaked when she saw me.  She said that I was very full of water, and she said that I was having a lergic reaction to the insiline shots and took me off right away, and put me on pills to help control my blood sugars and after I was put on the pills, I went down really fast to the normal place, but the damage was already done. My Son was 8lbs and 11oz when he came out. Which is not bad, but he was big.  So, not all doctors know what the heck they are doing.

Now with my second pregnancy my OB knew what to look for and I started taking my blood sugars right away and they were up high and I started pills right away, though that did not help as my blood sugars were always high, so needless to say I cannot have anymore kids. :( But I have to wonderful boys. :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

I have failed it twice...

With my first pregnancy, my high risk doctor "controlled" it by diet and exercise.. I checked my blood glucose levels 4 times daily and gave the results to the doctor weekly. I also had u/s every week after 30 weeks. My daughter was stillborn due to my not being on insulin..the HR doctor mishandled my condition and the result was heartbreaking. Kahlan was stillborn at 36 weeks.

My second pregnancy I checked my blood sugar 4 times a day, and watched my diet. I had already been treating myself as if I had the diet ( with the exception of a couple of Peanut Buster Parfaits in the beginning) when I was diagnosed. I was actually checked at 8 weeks and then again at 24 weeks. At 24 weeks is when I was diagnosed. I was immediately put on the diet and on insulin after the first week of the diet and my levels being too high. I was given weekly NST's by my regular OB/GYN and then a weekly u/s by the high risk OB. I was admitted to the hospital once during my pregnancy and my diet was closely monitored and they ended up increasing my insulin  for the second time. I was placed on complete bed rest for my GD and for hypertension, so I was unable to exercise at all. At 34 weeks 3 days, I was at my NST when I was sent to the hospital to deliver.. I had Pre-E all of a sudden. 3.5 hours after I arrived my dd was delivered via c-section ( repeat). They tested me for 2 days and my dd was tested for a week. She was in NICU for 3 weeks 1 day. (she had heart issues)

Most OB's will change your diet and exercise first and then will look at your glucose levels and decide whether to administer insulin or not.( I lived on chicken, steak, sweet potatoes, salad, water, and peanut butter for my whole pregnancy... the day after I had our dd my dh brought me a Peanut Buster Parfait from DQ in the hospital. It was so yummy!)

Claire

WAHM of 2 cute and adorable boys! :)

Brandon and Zachary

My Brandon has Autism....

-- Neeters! :)

darcyk10
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Well you could have gestational diabetis. Depending on how bad it is they will take action. You wil probably have to watch more of what you eat and take medication I dont know if you would have to do inculin shots or not. But you might have to prick your finger and test your blood sugar levels 3 times a day. It all depends on how bad it is. Im sorry you failed :( It should clear up after the baby. I hade thyroid problems realy bad after I gave birth and underwent a lot of blood work etc and meds. It was sucky. But it got better after 6 months for me but its not diabetis though :S

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)