Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Me and DH were just talking about whether or not it was cool to have hot lunch or cold lunch...

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM
  • 11 Replies

We're both 33 and when we were in Elementary School, it was NOT cool for me to have hot lunch, usually only the POOR kids had hot lunches b/c they were free and we stuck out like sore thumbs, esp b/c we had cards they had to check off and the richer kids had real money to pay for theirs. EMBARASSING!

DH says that wasn't true at all at his school, you couldn't tell who got hot lunch or not and if you got BREAKFAST at school, you were the poor ones. The kids who brought lunches to his school were considered frugal or poorer or trying to save $ in other words.

Fast forward, my DD eats hot lunch daily (we buy it for her) and that's what ALL the kids do, poor or wealthier. LOL. Barely any kids bring lunch and it's not uncool to order hot lunch at all and they don't have those embarassing check off cards for the free lunch kids, either (so no one can tell who's poorer).

SO HOW WAS IT FOR YOU?

by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bablondie
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I never had a lunchbox growing up. There was no way my mom could afford loaves of fresh bread, cheese, and lunch meat weekly for us...or an apple or bag of chips on the side and drink...no way. And most people may have considered it cheaper to do it that way, but nowdays with my dd I find 2$ a day for her hot lunch much cheaper than me being able to make her lunch.

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM

I always felt like the uncool kid because I packed my lunch and it wasn't in a lunchbox....I was the one with a plastic bag LMAO. Buying your lunch was much cooler at my school.

cypris420
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM

It was right down the middle when I was little.  It wasn't that it was cool or not to get hot lunch, it was the little ticket (like carnival ride tickets) that you "paid" with if you were poor (like us!) that was uncool.  Especially being in an upper class town, kids noticed that.

MyStErIoUsWiFe
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:16 AM

In my school it wasn't cool to bring a lunch or buy a lunch.  lol.  I usually bought a popscicle and called it good, or maybe a bag of chips. 

nemiller
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:16 AM

it varied from year to year.  in elementary school, nobody really cared.  if you brought your lunch, though, you had more leverage to trade for better stuff since you usually had something super awesome you couldn't get at the school.  in middle school, i usually bought my lunch, but they had an a la carte setup as well as the lunch line.  in high school, i did what i wanted.  usually left campus or bought from the school store (like a convenience store).

Sirenabella
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM

I don't remember what the system was at elementary school. Everybody knew who was "poor" or not anyway so it didn't really matter. In jr high and high school we had every kind of food you could imagine from the cafeteria to pizza hut, taco bell, subway, the snack stands, etc. so everybody pretty much ate whatever they wanted. Nobody really got into eachother's business that I'm aware of.

amberbrianne
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:19 AM

I never had hot lunch, my mom always made my lunch for me, but all my friends it seemed like had hot lunch so I felt kinda left out and nerdy for bringing my lunch, especially when my mom would leave me little notes in my lunchbox so embarassing!

Quoting cypris420:

It was right down the middle when I was little.  It wasn't that it was cool or not to get hot lunch, it was the little ticket (like carnival ride tickets) that you "paid" with if you were poor (like us!) that was uncool.  Especially being in an upper class town, kids noticed that.

Proud mommy to one amazing little boy!

strwberryfields
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:21 AM

hmmm I think the snack bar was considered "cooler" at my school. They always had Dominoes deliver pizzas everyday and you paid per slice or you could get nachos or fries or something. Then there was a salad bar and then hot lunches, and they had microwaves for those who brought their own luch. I usually ate from the salad bar though.

AngelicaRenee
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:27 AM

well I did get the free lunch and we had the cards. but i wasn't really embarrassed cause the majority of the kids had it also. I always felt awkward bringing a lunch! lol

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2009 at 2:01 AM

I took my own lunch for most of school but in elementary school i did have to use the "discount" lunch cards.  Middle school i didnt eat alot of lunch since gym class was afterwards and me running after eating isnt pretty. High school i just saved up for lunch when i got money.  I would buy tater rounds w/ cheese sauce and Sunny D to call it a day.  I hung out with the kids who didnt poke their nose at others who didnt form to their way of living.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)