Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

keep your LO in their toddler bed?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:16 AM
  • 14 Replies

how did you do it? did they just stay in there? my two year old DD just got her toddler bed in her room yesterday, she's been laying in it.. she thinks it's the coolest thing since Dora. IM also trying to take the nuk away.. should i give it to her today.. just so she can get used to the big girl bed for a nap today?

by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelKissedMama
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:19 AM

I wish I could say that I put my daughter in her bed lol...but I havent she is in my bed right now lmao. She has a twin bed in her room when she first got it she loved it but then it got old & now she is back in my bed .....it sucks!!!

celticreverie
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:19 AM

We completely skipped toddler beds lol.. so I can't help there. BUT I wouldn't try taking away a source of comfort, at the same time you introduce the toddler bed you know? too much going on and once.

JudeandLucy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I'd let her keep the binky til she's used to the new bed.

We did the Supernanny technique when DD went into the toddler bed. It only took about two nights. The first time she gets out of bed tell her it's bedtime honey, lay her back down and tell her goodnight. Every time after that you don't say anything - just lay her back down. It could take alot, and a long time, but just remember NOT to talk to her after the first time. If you stick to it it'll work! I've had to use this for multiple bedtime issues.

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I put a TV and a DVD and VHS player in his room. Worked awesome LOL. 

Tyler Joseph ~ 09/26/03 & Aubri Stacia ~ 08/08/08

My heart, my soul, my life!

When you are happy, I'll love you with a joyful heart. ~ When you are sad, I'll love you with a heart made heavier by your tears. ~ When you are right, I'll love you with a heart filled with pride. ~ When you are wrong, I'll love you with a heart that has learned acceptance. ~ When you succeed, I'll love you with a cheering heart. ~ When you fail, I'll love you with a heart that rewards the efforts you made. ~ When you dream, I'll love you with an encouraging heart. ~ When you give up, I'll love you with a heart that is strong enough for the both of us. ~ And when you are simply you, in whatever mood or phase of your life, I'll love you with all my heart, and more than you'll ever know. 

Audreysmommy123
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:27 AM

i was actually thinking that too. we got literally soo sick of watching certain things over and over again.. that we put my SO's old dvd player tv in her room.. maybe i should put dora or diego on while she's trying to take a nap to keep her in it

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I promise it works! AND some ppl will say that your child will get used to it and not be able to fall asleep on his/her own without it, but we didnt have the problem. Hopefully you dont!

Quoting Audreysmommy123:

i was actually thinking that too. we got literally soo sick of watching certain things over and over again.. that we put my SO's old dvd player tv in her room.. maybe i should put dora or diego on while she's trying to take a nap to keep her in it

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

Tyler Joseph ~ 09/26/03 & Aubri Stacia ~ 08/08/08

My heart, my soul, my life!

When you are happy, I'll love you with a joyful heart. ~ When you are sad, I'll love you with a heart made heavier by your tears. ~ When you are right, I'll love you with a heart filled with pride. ~ When you are wrong, I'll love you with a heart that has learned acceptance. ~ When you succeed, I'll love you with a cheering heart. ~ When you fail, I'll love you with a heart that rewards the efforts you made. ~ When you dream, I'll love you with an encouraging heart. ~ When you give up, I'll love you with a heart that is strong enough for the both of us. ~ And when you are simply you, in whatever mood or phase of your life, I'll love you with all my heart, and more than you'll ever know. 

witcheymommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:30 AM

it felt like it took us forever! we tried a few nights of putting her to bed and letting her cry, then we tried a few nights of me sleeping next to her on the floor(she thought it was a slumber party, and would not sleep). we finnaly went back to the bedtime routine and telling her that we will come up once if she needs anything, but after that, she needs to sleep. she does really well. she has a million stuffies that sleep with her, and her bed is full of books. we do have to still tell her to go to bed because she will stay up and "read", but she wont go to bed if we take them away. its hard at first, and was heart breaking at times, but after about a week, she was excited to o to bed.oh, we have a small night light lamp that we keep on for her too. good luck, and hang in there.

Hisservent
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:31 AM

when we converted my son's bed, he was 2 weeks shy of hise 2nd bday. He loved it...the fact that he could get in and out himself. I changed it over before his nap, so we thought we would try the nap. Well he was too busy playing in it and fell out, so him crying is what put him to sleep. (YES I did comfort him when he fell out...for those who will think I am a terrible mother) But he cried for a few mins and eventually fell asleep.

That night, it did take some time He would get out and lay on the floor...this lasted like a week. But every time he got out to get on the floor, Id go in and put him back in bed. After the 3rd day of that I started spanking him every time he got out. NOw this is how I did it. The first time he got out (after day 3) I went in and put him back in bed. The second time, I told him with a stern voice "if you get out of bed again, mommy is going to spank you". Sometimes he listened to that and sometimes he didn't so he got a spanking. I did put a baby gate infront of his door so he wouldn't come out at 2am or whatever. Once he was asleep, he didn't come out of bed at all. So after that week, I took the gate down.  Then every once in a while after that first week, he'd get out and lay on the floor or just peek out of the bedroom. (I cannot close his door becuase it would keep the cold or heat out)

Now, he's 2 1/2 and every now and then he'll poke his head out of his room from the foot of his bed, but I just look at him and say "lay down" and he does.

Consistancy is the key to it all. Same with the pacy. I would maybe let her have it today. And then take it away tomorrow. When my son was 16 months, he was only getting it in bed since he was 6 months. So at 16 months, I took it away during nap time, but he could have it at night. The first day he cried for an hour before falling asleep. The second day naptime, he cried for 20 mins, and the third day naptime, he cried for 5 mins. Then on the 4th day, I took it away completely. He didn't cry at all going to bed, but he woke up that night and the following night around 1am looking for his pacy. By the 6th night, he did very well and hasn't asked for it since. he slept better w/o it than he did with it.

All I have, all I am, all I ever will be, is because of you, Lord! I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me!

I am a 100% pro-life, wife, church goin Christian, choir singin, recyclin, natural products usin, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, CIO method usin, soy milk drinkin, organic milk givin, coffee drinkin, dog lovin, schedule stickin to, vitamin givin/takin, soy candle burnin, as Green as I can get, WAHM.

Hisservent
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:33 AM

i sooo do not like this idea. Because then the TV bcomes the parent. I am one who doesn't agree with a tv in a child's room. They need to learn to go to sleep on their own. But to each their own.

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

All I have, all I am, all I ever will be, is because of you, Lord! I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me!

I am a 100% pro-life, wife, church goin Christian, choir singin, recyclin, natural products usin, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, CIO method usin, soy milk drinkin, organic milk givin, coffee drinkin, dog lovin, schedule stickin to, vitamin givin/takin, soy candle burnin, as Green as I can get, WAHM.

Audreysmommy123
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM

It gets to the point around 9:30/10:00 that audrey will be soo tired from being outside all afternoon and before her nap that she like falls asleep on the floor, so we just pick her up and put her in bed..

Quoting Hisservent:

when we converted my son's bed, he was 2 weeks shy of hise 2nd bday. He loved it...the fact that he could get in and out himself. I changed it over before his nap, so we thought we would try the nap. Well he was too busy playing in it and fell out, so him crying is what put him to sleep. (YES I did comfort him when he fell out...for those who will think I am a terrible mother) But he cried for a few mins and eventually fell asleep.

That night, it did take some time He would get out and lay on the floor...this lasted like a week. But every time he got out to get on the floor, Id go in and put him back in bed. After the 3rd day of that I started spanking him every time he got out. NOw this is how I did it. The first time he got out (after day 3) I went in and put him back in bed. The second time, I told him with a stern voice "if you get out of bed again, mommy is going to spank you". Sometimes he listened to that and sometimes he didn't so he got a spanking. I did put a baby gate infront of his door so he wouldn't come out at 2am or whatever. Once he was asleep, he didn't come out of bed at all. So after that week, I took the gate down.  Then every once in a while after that first week, he'd get out and lay on the floor or just peek out of the bedroom. (I cannot close his door becuase it would keep the cold or heat out)

Now, he's 2 1/2 and every now and then he'll poke his head out of his room from the foot of his bed, but I just look at him and say "lay down" and he does.

Consistancy is the key to it all. Same with the pacy. I would maybe let her have it today. And then take it away tomorrow. When my son was 16 months, he was only getting it in bed since he was 6 months. So at 16 months, I took it away during nap time, but he could have it at night. The first day he cried for an hour before falling asleep. The second day naptime, he cried for 20 mins, and the third day naptime, he cried for 5 mins. Then on the 4th day, I took it away completely. He didn't cry at all going to bed, but he woke up that night and the following night around 1am looking for his pacy. By the 6th night, he did very well and hasn't asked for it since. he slept better w/o it than he did with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)