Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Midwife, Doula, Hospital, or Home??

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:34 AM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: Which Method Did You Use?

Options:

Home Birth with Doula

Home Birth with Midwife

Home Birth with out Doula or Midwife

Hospital with DR and Meds

Hospital Natural no midwife or doula

Hospital with midwife

Hospital with doula

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 70

View Results

Hello ladies and Good morning! So I am 16 weeks along, and have decided that I want to do a natural birth. I'm pretty sure I still want to be in a hospital though since I personally don't feel comfortable birthing at home. However, I didn't really want drugs with my first 2 babies and ended up getting them. The first time I did not have a strong support system, I was basically alone with the doctor and nurses, the second time I had a great system but the pain was so bad and my DH didn't want me to suffer so he suggested I give in and take the meds, which I jumped on! And it felt better, but both times my babies heart rate drop significantly, the second time they were really worried and after she came out they cut the cord and rushed her to the baby station, DH didn't get to cut the cord b/c they had to move fast. She was fine, but I really think it has to do with the meds, and I don't want to put another child at risk.

My fear is that I will give in again. I've heard the midwives and doula's really help with that and are great support and do everything to up hold your birth plan.

Is that true?

What did you use? Why?

in lovetwin girlspregnant bellywelcome spring.gif

Loving wife and mother to 2 wonderful girls, with a little one on the way!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Im a wimp so there was NO way I was not doing hospital and meds. My step mom does it at home, no meds, and a midwife. (And she's pregnant w/ # 10)

khmommy04
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:37 AM

10! Wow, that is impressive!

Quoting jltplk:

Im a wimp so there was NO way I was not doing hospital and meds. My step mom does it at home, no meds, and a midwife. (And she's pregnant w/ # 10)

in lovetwin girlspregnant bellywelcome spring.gif

Loving wife and mother to 2 wonderful girls, with a little one on the way!

hannahGIV
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM

well im currently 32 weeks with #1 and plan to birth at home with a midwife and doula. i cant really say from experience but so far i feel really confident about being at home. at first i was very skeptical but having the right midwife has really helped and i am almost scared to go to the hospital now. lol

Phenomemom
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Can't really help you because I got the epi with both of my boys, but here's a bump!

Forget-me-not
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Homebirth without or without a midwife. I have read to much and know the dangers of hospital births, you couldn't pay me to have a child there. Hospitals are for the sick and dying, I am neither. If you look in my siggy you will see a pic of a pregnant women, click on it it will take you to my natural birthing group.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 12, Abby 8 and  BABY BOY  In June. Ask me about freebirthing?

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2009 at 9:43 AM

You can do it! Look into natural pain relief while in labor. Do not let them confine you to bed. Move around, use a birthing ball, get into the tub, moan and groan, give your hubby a good slap upside the head....lol, just kidding about the last one, but if i'd make you feel better...

Nzumbe
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I was originally going to do it at a midwife's with a doula.

I ended up needing an emergency c-section before the doula even got there.

wsv777
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:45 AM

My midwife was way more supportive of my choices than a doctor. But the key is to start all natural without interference. With my first I was induced with my second I went into labor on my own and my body built me up with what I could tolerate. If you put your mind to it I'm sure you'll be fine. I would def. have a midwife and doula there to support you and encourage you to go the route you want. Good Luck!!

richgirljj
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I am a c-section mama... so drugs and hospital and qualified surgeons for me...

celticreverie
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:47 AM

If you opt for a hospital birth get a doula! She will be able to help you, keep you encouraged, etc, when and if your DH can't. Doula's are great support people, you would hunt around and find one you like and are comfy with!

Hospital based midwives CAN be more like medwives, meaning they can be intervention happy. Not all, but some, so you would still want to interview etc.

I am having a homebirth. I wont deliver in a hospital unless I have to.

You are 16 weeks, start looking around. You can find a free standing birthcenter, or even a homebirth midwive, and just talk to them and then make your decision. Ask questions, etc. :) Hospitals are for the sick and dying, not the place for healthy women wanting to have healthy babies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)