Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you pay your kids to do Chores?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:36 AM
  • 77 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you pay your kids to do chores? YES or NO ( Please explain yourself:)

Options:

Yes

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

I'm having a hard time with my TEENS,  They  dont want to do chores becuase,  I dont paid them. Im not agree to pay my kids to do chores,

When Im taking care of them, I feed them, buy them cloths, take them to fun places, ect.. and when they finally do there chores, they always have this atituted.

I wonder if Im wrong and maybe i should give them something but I dont know how much $$ I should give them.

What you guys think? I will love to know your opinion, and how you guys feel about this situation.

Thank you so much in advance:)

by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
magic67
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:39 AM
I have never paid my kids to do chores. that is their home and they will repect it period. now, I would give them money from time to time, to go to movies or whatever. but never did I give them money to keep their room cleaned along with any other cleaning needed.
Chey_s_Mommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:39 AM

My DD is only 16 months, however when she is older she will get an allowance, from doing chores and doing good in school. Not sure how much yet, I will think of that when the time comes.

ImNotASheep08
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Of course. Would you go to work and not be expected to be paid? How is it any different for them? They need an incentive. My girls are only 6 but if they do everything they are supposed to do they get a few dollars a week. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

My children are unvaccinated, your children are vaccinated. So what the hell are you worried about? I don't owe vaccinating parents a damn thing. My children will not be a lab rat for the greater good of society. Sorry if you don't like it. Build a bridge and get over it.

athenax3
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:41 AM

It's their home too- they should keep it clean and organized because they have pride in thier home and themselves- no one pays you to be a decent person- in fact it's often a giant pain in the ass- but it's still the right thing to do, so are the dishes. The payoff is they get to live in a clean home with a happy mother- tada!!

My honest opinion is you shouldn't pay them a dime- if they don't do the chores then they don't get the extras that make thier life so nice and comfy- like television, stereo, video games, trips, dinners out, etc. I wouldn't be strongarmed into giving my kids money- it sets a bad precedent and teaches them that they are going to be rewarded for every little thing they do, which IS NOT how life works. jmo.

athenax3
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Quoting ImNotASheep08:

Of course. Would you go to work and not be expected to be paid? How is it any different for them? They need an incentive. My girls are only 6 but if they do everything they are supposed to do they get a few dollars a week. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

ha, I have "worked" in this house plenty and never seen a dime! Where's my money??? lol...

brookelynn0203
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I don't have teens but I have a rewards chart for my DD who is 6.  It includes chores along with other things like minding the rules, and using manners.

Each day she gets a sticker if she has done well. At the end of a week she gets a prize or money.  But its a surprise! 

I think reward is better than punishment when they are young.

However, when she gets older it will just be part of her responsibilities.  Life is not going to reward them for doing what is expected of them, but it will for going above and beyond.  I would suggest dicussing a list of things that are expected and then a list of things that they can do in addition to the normal chores that will earn them money.  I say depending on the job it should be between $10-$20 bucks.  And if they are not doing their chores then they get a consequence.  Even at 6 my DD knows if her chores aren't done she doesn't get to go out and play, or shop, or whatever.

Parents need to have resonable expectations and consequences for their children and follow through with them.

I have learned to take my time when choosing a consequence and not just spat out whatever comes to mind that way I know I can stick to it. 

Like instead of saying if you don't clean your room then you won't go to (insert here).  Chances are you are still going to go to (insert here) because you planned on it or paid for it.  Then you end up looking like you caved and your kids think they can keep on doing because you don't really mean it when you throw out a punishment.

Now I jsut say if such in such is not done then you will get a consequence, it could mean anything from not going to the movie we planned to having a toy taken away.

Whatever you decide, jsut stick to it.  Kids will respect you more!  My mom never stuck to her punishments and so it was never a big deal to me, when she said I was grounded I would laugh inside because I knew in an hour with a little begging it would be all cool!

I am a BF, 5PT Harnassing, Co-sleeping, VAX, CIO, OCD, AR, WOTH, NON PA, Non-Spanking, CHD-Surviving, Single Mommy and PROUD OF IT!!!
 "I'm out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe"

I was born with a broken heart......and I survived it!

SGJsmom
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:46 AM

They are always asking for money, so we made them a chore list. This way they can learn that they have to earn it and not just get it. I am trying to teach them responsibility and how to manage their money.

sweeping

SnowFlake76
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I think doing chores builds a work ethic. As a child I had an allowance and it was based on how many chores I had done. I had my every day chores like walk the dog or put away my toys but then I would get extra for dusting, doing dishes and so on and so forth.

Sure it is their home and they have to respect it but honestly this is how children (in general) learn right from wrong. There are consequences for bad behavior and there should be rewards for good behavior, IMO.

As far as how much you should give them, I think it should depend on the age of the child. If we were talking about a 5 year old, i wouldn't give them a lot. Just enough to put in their piggy bank and maybe buy a treat for themselves every once in a while. But for older children and teenagers. i would say a weekly allowance that is enough for them to go to see a movie, buy a popcorn and soda and maybe grab a slice of pizza after the movie would suffice. So what, grand total maybe 20-25 dollars a week. If they bitch and complain, tell them that they need to learn the value of a dollar.

magic67
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:48 AM

who pays you to clean your home? I don't think cleaning your home is a job. (not saying cleaning is not hard work, it is)

I see it as it's your home, your pride of how you want it to look.  they have their own reward. the pride that they do live in a nice home.

that is your choice in raising your children. and with that, there is nothing wrong with what you do and the same for me as well.

Quoting ImNotASheep08:

Phenomemom
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Yes and no. He does not get paid for his regular chores, but we will let him do extra chores for money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)