Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What defines an alcoholic??

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM
  • 9 Replies

I know everyone has their own opinion, but does anyone really know what defines an alcoholic??

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
angie729
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I would say that someone who is dependent on the alchol. Someone who has to have drinks to function or sleep. My boyfriend is an alcoholic he just recently quit. He would drink beer from the time he woke up till he went to bed. If he didnt have any he would shake his bp would go real high and he would have hallucantions. He would even sometimes get up durring the night to drink a beer. He started when he was 15 he is 42 now.

StarsChildren
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM

to me... if they have a bottle, and they HAVE to finish it. or even if they have one drink a night or a week, its a HAVE to have it sort of thing. Whenever you HAVE to have it, I consider that an alcoholic.

cdnmom24
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I consider my dad a selective alcoholic. He drinks during the week, at lunch time, afternoon coffee break, and after work. But he doesn't drink on the weekends which I find unusual because of the amount he drinks during the week.

newmom_1989
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Quoting angie729:

I would say that someone who is dependent on the alchol. Someone who has to have drinks to function or sleep. My boyfriend is an alcoholic he just recently quit. He would drink beer from the time he woke up till he went to bed. If he didnt have any he would shake his bp would go real high and he would have hallucantions. He would even sometimes get up durring the night to drink a beer. He started when he was 15 he is 42 now.

I agree with this!

Mrs_Harsh

The Marine corp told my husband this " If you plan on drinking ( say new years/bday/anniversary) You are a alcoholic, If you sit at work thinking i can't wait to get home crack a beer, you are a alcoholic. What a crock right!? I personally think if you can not go a moment in the day without thinking about/actually drinking then you are a alcoholic.

mrsmilfy

well a binge drinker is a womwho drinks more than 2 alcoholic beverages during the night under a certain amount of time....so maybe if people binge drink a lot, or they l the need to drink, they have to drink to function, etc. My friends and I used to joke...You're only and alcoholic if you drink alone! lol...so we always drank with someone else or drank while talking on the phone...oh those were the days

HipMama08
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

To me there are different types of alcoholics. There are those that drink so much and it consumes so much of their life that they can't hold down a job, can't maintain any relationships, basically can't function at all. Then there are those that can hold down a job and maintain relationships, etc but drink throughout the week, drink excessively/heavily all the time, it impacts their life in someway. They also binge drink a lot. My brother falls under this second category....He has been drinking since he was 15 or 16. He drinks probably most days of the week, but most heavily on the weekends. He drinks far more than any of his friends do and will even drink alone if his friends aren't around that night. He gets angry and punches things when he drinks...never people but walls, doors, etc. He has been in 2 car accidents with alochol involved but is still unable to admit that he has a problem.

jodiemarie
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM

i think it is someone who for one doesn't think they have a problem and drinks more often then not. my dh is an alocholic he drinks everyday and will drink until there is none left. he was sent to detox 3 times in one month but is trying very hard i figured out he will not fully change until hes ready but its my house too and i will only allow a rationed amount to be in our home.

Phenomemom
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Needing alcohol to function "normally".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)