Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gardening/Landscaping HELP!

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a credit of $1575.00 at a Garden Center here.  We traded our labor for credit in their store.  I want to change my yard badly!  2 Years ago I killed all the flowers that I planted so obviously I am doing something wrong.  Anyone know of nice flowers that can hold up well?  I have so much to do to the yard and I just don't know where to begin.  I will take pics and post them of the area I am re-doing.

Dona
Mommy to Chantel and Cordell
Wife to Eric 10.24.02
**To a child LOVE is spelled T-I-M-E

by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aarkat
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM

maybe your soil needs amending?  i would ask a landscaper in your area to look at your yard and make suggestions.  You may want to do soil tests, too.   Someone who's never seen your yard before may be able to see it in a different light and have new ideas?  Or try looking at hgtv and websites for gardening magazines to get ideas.

You could consider putting in an underground watering system with timers.  They save water, and make life much easier on you.

Have Fun!!

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on May. 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms
Green Thumb Society

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

> The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

mrsjoeljr
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:46 PM

It definitley depends where you live. I bought a book something like "Georgia Gardeners Guide" and it is very specific on what types of plants work in what kind of soil and what type of lighting. It also tells when to plant them and  tons of other useful info.  Find a really good book-try the library.

Shylie
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Hi! Welcome. Stick to plants that are native to the area, typically they last without too much bother. If you must have pretties that need a little more care, maybe keep them in pots so you can bring them in when it's cold or tuck them under a shrub. Mark on your calendar every few days to check their soil, and water if they need it. I used to have one little "tropical plant" that I used to keep track of all my plants. If it looked sad, I watered everybody. That worked really well. Find something like a schefflera (sp?) or whatever just to keep track of.

aarkat
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:12 PM

sunset has good regional guides.  i also think it's a good idea as a previous poster mentioned to look into native plants in your area. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)