Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SPIN OFF are you still a mom if....

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Can you still celebrate mothers day if your only child passes away?

Options:

Yes because you had a child

No because you no longer have a child to care for

Other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

Ok the post about the woman wanting to celebrate mothers day even though she had a miscarraige got me thinking because of the reply "I would have to say no. does she have to do all the normal stuff other moms do?? no What if you are a mother to an only child and that ony child passes away. Do you just stop celebrating mothers day because you no longer have to do all the normal stuff a mother does?

by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PugBug_117
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM

If my children passed away, I wouldn't really feel like "celebrating" in the traditional way, but I would still consider myself a mother.

mrsmoore02
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM
I say yes. Once a mother, always a mother.
googiemommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I probably wouldn't celebrate though I would be really sad.

Quoting mrsmoore02:

I say yes. Once a mother, always a mother.

My SUgar LUmp

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Who is to say who should and should not celebrate Mother's Day. If you, god forbid, lost a child during pregnancy, childbirth or years later, you had a bond with that baby/child and are entitled to cherish that memory in whatever way you like.

Sirenabella
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:45 PM

IMO anybody who was ever a mother should be celebrated/be able to celebrate mother's day. It is also my opinion that nobody can tell a woman she isn't a mother b/c her child died or she miscarried. Honestly ppl who want to dictate who can't celebrate mother's day and the reasons for it have way too much time on their hands.

Baby_kisses
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM

mothers day is something our kids celebrate for us, so if you dont have a kid, or are still prego then how can the kid celebrate you for being thier mother?

her body's not the only thing hot....click her to find out more....

totalbitch8604
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I don't think it's right for anyone to say who should or should not celebrate a holiday just because their child is in heaven rather than here on earth with them. Just because your child has passed does not mean you are not a mother. You wll always be that childs mother. I think it's up to the person, if they want to celebrate then who are we to judge?
I celebrated my first mothers day a month before my oldest dd was born. My husband bought me a rope necklace with a dolphin charm that i still wear to this day and i tell everyone it was my first mothers day gift while i was still pregnant!

Dance13
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I celebrated my first mother's day while i was still pregnant to. but when i got the gifts I was thinking to myself. "i really shouldn't take these i'm not a mother yet you could wait the 2 more months and give them to me after i have my son" but I think that was really when it sunk in me that HEY i'm going to be a mother you know? I have a necklace that has a ring on it that has mom carved out on it and i also got a braclet but like i said i think that was when i really realized i'm a mother its not all about me now.

Quoting totalbitch8604:

I don't think it's right for anyone to say who should or should not celebrate a holiday just because their child is in heaven rather than here on earth with them. Just because your child has passed does not mean you are not a mother. You wll always be that childs mother. I think it's up to the person, if they want to celebrate then who are we to judge?
I celebrated my first mothers day a month before my oldest dd was born. My husband bought me a rope necklace with a dolphin charm that i still wear to this day and i tell everyone it was my first mothers day gift while i was still pregnant!

babybull0601
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Quoting PugBug_117:

If my children passed away, I wouldn't really feel like "celebrating" in the traditional way, but I would still consider myself a mother.

-42-
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Kids don't celebrate the day FOR us. They make OUR day more special. 

Quoting Baby_kisses:

mothers day is something our kids celebrate for us, so if you dont have a kid, or are still prego then how can the kid celebrate you for being thier mother?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)