Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Year Old's Pirate-themed Room (piog)

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM
  • 5 Replies

Does anyone have any decor ideas for a pirate-themed kid's room? I don't really have much in there yet, just some wall stickers. I would really like to keep this as inexpensive as possible and I don't mind doing some crafty things myself. Also, he has two pretty large bookselves in his room and I would like to do something decorative with them, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm really new to this whole decorating thing. Please help. TIA.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tairakittie
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM

You can make a pirate flag out of felt or fablic to hang on his wall. With the book shelves you can get a dark stain and rub it on then let it sit for a little while and wipe it off again until it looks like a treasure chest kind of... and then you can put cool gold hardware on it. um... what else did you want to do? I can think of a million cool things but I dont know if you want like a little kid pirate room or just look like a "real" pirates room?! Oh and you can get that muslin type of fabric and some grommets and make "pirate sail" curtains for his room.

kgsharber
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2009 at 3:27 PM

You can get some paper & draw a treasure map with dark pencil. Then burn the edges. Then soak the paper in tea for about 10 mins (to stain it). Once it dries for a few hours glue the paper to the back of the shelves (the part people can see) and then spray Kraylon clear gloss spray paint. If you want to embellish anything with red touches or a little pale blue for the water you cn do that after the spray paint dries & then just do another coat of spray paint when you finish.

(The good thing about acryllic paint to embellish the paper is it will wipe off if you don't like the effect.) 

kgsharber
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Also, if you sign up your e-mail @ JoAnn fabrics online you get a 40% off any one item (as a bonus for signing up) They have real unfinished wood table & chair sets for kids starting at $25 (just a table) on up to $75. You can get the table for $25, then take the 40% off coupon and decorate the table to go with whatever colors you do the room in. Or even just a skull & cross-bones.

SGJsmom
by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM

My DH made a crows nest over our son's bed. We got him a pirate flag. He has a skull and cross bones that hangs on his door, it is a toy. It lights up and says something. We got him a Pirates of the Caribbean Lamp. Solid colored bedspread and sheets to match his room. We bought a stuffed animal parrot that has a perch. He has a bed that we turned into a boat.

TessyCat
by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM

For the book shelves you can paint them with navy blue and red stripes and make or find a comforter with red and navy stripes. It depends on how far into it you really want to go really. A can of paint and some of those net toy hangy things would change the room drastically.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)