Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A problem with my cat....please help if you can or bump

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

My cat is 17 now.  About 6 mos ago she started yowling and howling in the middle of the night!! She yowls like this ONLY at night and I dont know why!!! I have fed her, given her water, left the light/tv on, EVERYTHING.  And it is the WEIRDEST sound.  Not at all like her regular meowing.  IDK WHAT to do!!!  Or WHY it is happening!  She NEVER used to do this.  We did move 2 mos ago but this happened at the old house, too, but now it's MUCH worse!  Actually wakes my son & I up at night!!  Could it be because she is getting old?  Please help if you can, or tell me if this has happened to you!

itssweetness

by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrimli
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:30 PM

my cats do this too.  i think they are lonely because they always do it after i go to bed. 

itssweetness
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM

She just started.  I have 2 others and they just sleep.  The oldest (17) is the one that is doing it.  And I leave the tv or radio on and it doesnt help. 

Quoting mrimli:

my cats do this too.  i think they are lonely because they always do it after i go to bed. 

itssweetness

SDbabe
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:32 PM

My cat does this when he wants attention or what's out, and he only does this at night too.  I hate it when he does it cause it sounds like he's trying to talk and it freaks me out!

HomemakinMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:32 PM

could be due to her getting old and maybe at night her sight isn't as well and just having 1 light on may not be enough and shes doing it cause she can't see or is getting disoriented take her to vet and have it checked out

If your DH, partner, or s/o works nights or evenings then this is the group for you. PLEASE JOIN MY GROUP?!?!?!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22354
itssweetness
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM

BUMP

itssweetness

amomtobella
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM

my cats about the same age and dose this when she out of something or needs me to clean her boxs but she dose it at night when she cant fine her way some where b/c she cant see anymore so she meow her way to me or to where ever she wants to go or in the winter when its cold she meow when he hurting

EddiesMommy712
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Ugh! My cat does this too! Just the boy though and only very early in the morning.  He will come stand outside our bedroom door and he will just yowl and it sounds terrible.  He is fixed and the girl cat is fixed too and she doesn't do it.  Just him.  If you figure out what it is, let me know!Oh and they ahve food, water, clean litter box, and they are only 3 years old.

two4one
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM

My cat Mystery used to do that. started a couple years before he got so sick we had to euthanize him. He was 15.  Ireally think that like humans, some animals just go senile.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

alleykatt28
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I think it comes with age. My MIL's cat does this... he's like 12 or 14 yrs old... and he does it ALL day!!!

soldier-2_thumb.png i love my soldier image by leosgirrl

Do you play MafiaWars on MySpace? Need more mafia? Come join in on the fun!! http://www.cafemom.com/group/102762

mom2four1978
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM

My MIL's cat did that when she was about that age. The vet said she was senile. Apparently it is common in elderly cats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)