Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CAN I ASK A GOOD QUESTION????????????????????????????

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

WHY? Why do we need 1 day a yr marked on a calendar to tell us to call our mom or who ever raised us that we love them and all???? Why do we need a day to remind us to tell our moms that they are special? Why do we need a day to remind us to tell our moms thank you? I just really want to know, I mean IMO Mothers Day is over rated. I never needed a "special" day to call my mama and tell her that I loved her, and to say thank you for helping me be the person that I am, and you are very special to me. I never needed a day to go buy her a special gift, to her she already had ALL the special gifts one mother could have...kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids. I no longer have my mama, I lost her 4 days after mothers day 5 yrs ago, but the hurt is and forever will be there, she never got to see my son which he would have been another special gift to her. I guess to me the day marked on the calendar as mothers day is just another way for this world to make money. So for me, I will not celebrate a day that should be everyday, mothers day. I don't need one day to remind me that the women who raised 11 of her own kids on her own, raised 6 grandkids with the help of 2 of her kids is a VERY special women who in my heart is and always will be my hero. So again I ask WHY? Why can't you tell your mom everyday or anytime that you love her, and thank her for making you who you are today, and tell her shes a special hero in your heart and in your eyes!

Audrey Adams

8/14/1926-5/13/2004

I love you mama!

(mama wasn't my birth mother. but she took me and my 2 sisters and brother in when I was 1 yrs old for my egg donor didn't want us. Mama had dun her job but then had to start back over raising more kids. She never complained and loved us all. I never called her grandma I called her mama for thats who she was to me. She was my mama, my hero, and my best friend and I miss her so much.) (Also I am sorry I am just going thru a really emotional time right now and this is just my opinion)

by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildcatmomma
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM

It's just an observance. I think anyone who loves their mother calls or does things for them through out the year.  

I am sorry for your loss.

StinkysMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Quoting wildcatmomma:

It's just an observance. I think anyone who loves their mother calls or does things for them through out the year.  

I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you. I understand its an observance, but it just gets me that ppl use it as an excuse. They never tell they're mother how special she is except on that day. And I agree if they TRUELY love they're mother will call and do things for them through out the yr to make her feel special, and know that she is loved.

toolmama
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I was reading about the history of Mother's Day- the daughter who lobbied to make it a national day of observance tried very hard to get it off the calendar a few years before she died.   She did not like how commercial the day had become.  I can agree with that-  as I have told my kids over the years I do not want something from them on just one day.  I want their show of love and such in their own sweet ways all during the year!  

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM

My mom and I have discussed this.  We both agree that Mother's Day is a little silly.  She wants a nightgown this year.  All I want is to be able to sleep in (which I can really do any weekend that I want).  But hey, it gives me another chance to go to my mom's for a day.  I see her almost every weekend, but I love going to her house and spending time with her.

StinkysMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Quoting toolmama:

I was reading about the history of Mother's Day- the daughter who lobbied to make it a national day of observance tried very hard to get it off the calendar a few years before she died.   She did not like how commercial the day had become.  I can agree with that-  as I have told my kids over the years I do not want something from them on just one day.  I want their show of love and such in their own sweet ways all during the year!  

Thank you!
Exactly...its all commercial and ppl wanting more and more and more money from you. Its not just mothers day....its alot of holidays. Mama always told us the same thing, she didn't want anything on just that day, that everyday was mothers day. I will raise my son the same way.

Kestrel1
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I am coming to hate - Hate HATE  HAAAATE mothers day.  It is a weekend where I have to smile and accept the awkward ministrations of those doing for me that which I do not want done, with no thought as to whether I like it, want it, feel up to cleaning up after it, and if I don't I am marked a certified bitch who doesn't appreciate what others do in her honor.

I hate breakfast.  I don't eat it 364 days a year.  What makes anyone think that I suddenly want to be served it one day a year where I have to stuff down food that I legitimately dislike and whistle like I just had an orgasm while I clean the kitchen afterwards?

The schools mothers day events are so loving I need a cone to go around my neck afterwards so I don't pluck myself skinless afterwards.  Three classroom events at which I'm supposed to present PTA friendly PDA's to demonstrate how much I love everything my child spends twenty minutes making.  I'm supposed to thank them for the macaroni neclace as if I had just won American Idol.  Should I not smile warmly enough then I must be some evil hooker who is raising kids as a joke.

I then am supposed to spend time with each kid while they tell me how much they love me, and to demonstrate that I understand, accept and value this I have to have 'quality time' with each.

By the time the Mothers Day thing is over I'm exhausted, touched out, and ready to lock myself in a bathroom.  If they wanted to give me a great mothers day, then they should send me on a vacation where mostly naked slightly post pubescent boys wearing high gloss oil would rub me everywhere but where it counts and bring me foods that I can stuff in my mouth ungracefully and ungratefully without worrying about who is there to see, and then let me sleep off the margarita hangover that I worked overtime to acheive.

None of this friggin Martha Martyr Stewart crap. 

I hate pancakes.

Twizlr
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I too was raised by my Grandmother.  She was the only parent I ever knew, my best friend and the world's greatest mother!  I never called her grandma either.  I miss her more right now, because I need her so much!  She lived long enough to see my oldest.  I got pregnant with my 2nd 6 months after she died.  She never got to see either of my boys, but she loved spending time with my daughter.  I am so sorry for your loss and understand your thoughts on Mother's Day and you are right, we should tell our mothers that we love them and cherish them everyday because you never know when that day might be the last chance you get.  Try to have a good day anyway!  Your Mama would want you to I am sure!

Katelynlistening to tunesNoahbaseballColintoddler boy

StinkysMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

My mom and I have discussed this.  We both agree that Mother's Day is a little silly.  She wants a nightgown this year.  All I want is to be able to sleep in (which I can really do any weekend that I want).  But hey, it gives me another chance to go to my mom's for a day.  I see her almost every weekend, but I love going to her house and spending time with her.

And to her and you its a special gift that money can't buy.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM

It's a Hallmark holiday, but since being a mother I really like it. My DD made me an adorable Mom's day card at daycare, and my DH had fun shopping with her last week. Just as I have fun Father's Day shopping. My own mother and I have made a tradition out of the day. We go to Six Flags, which we will do again this Sunday.  

Kairi girl on a swing

StinkysMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Quoting Kestrel1:

I am coming to hate - Hate HATE  HAAAATE mothers day.  It is a weekend where I have to smile and accept the awkward ministrations of those doing for me that which I do not want done, with no thought as to whether I like it, want it, feel up to cleaning up after it, and if I don't I am marked a certified bitch who doesn't appreciate what others do in her honor.

I hate breakfast.  I don't eat it 364 days a year.  What makes anyone think that I suddenly want to be served it one day a year where I have to stuff down food that I legitimately dislike and whistle like I just had an orgasm while I clean the kitchen afterwards?

The schools mothers day events are so loving I need a cone to go around my neck afterwards so I don't pluck myself skinless afterwards.  Three classroom events at which I'm supposed to present PTA friendly PDA's to demonstrate how much I love everything my child spends twenty minutes making.  I'm supposed to thank them for the macaroni neclace as if I had just won American Idol.  Should I not smile warmly enough then I must be some evil hooker who is raising kids as a joke.

I then am supposed to spend time with each kid while they tell me how much they love me, and to demonstrate that I understand, accept and value this I have to have 'quality time' with each.

By the time the Mothers Day thing is over I'm exhausted, touched out, and ready to lock myself in a bathroom.  If they wanted to give me a great mothers day, then they should send me on a vacation where mostly naked slightly post pubescent boys wearing high gloss oil would rub me everywhere but where it counts and bring me foods that I can stuff in my mouth ungracefully and ungratefully without worrying about who is there to see, and then let me sleep off the margarita hangover that I worked overtime to acheive.

None of this friggin Martha Martyr Stewart crap. 

I hate pancakes.

Love your reply!!! I hate pancakes too, just give me my coffee and I am happy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)