Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st birthday question.

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM
  • 13 Replies

Okay so I have to let the hall that I rented out for Kaylees party know how long I need it for. So heres the thing... Her bday party will be May 30th, at 2:00, so the night before, (friday) they'll let us come in and decorate it all and then Saturday morning I can come in and get the food ready, ect. They have a kitchen too. They also said that the prep + cleanup isnt charged, and basically they dont book the place to anyone else that day.

Anyways, I have only been to a few 1st Birthdays and I really dont know how long to make it for. Im debating between 2 and 3 hours. For 2 hours it will cost 100 and for 3 hours it will cost 150. Im just having cake, icecream, food, & let her open presents and eat her smash cake. Nothing special, just close friends and family.... but it will be around 50-60 people. I know my babyshower had around 60ish and it felt like it took forever to open all of the gifts. So I figured it will take Kaylee even longer.

Hmmm... Help me out? lol.

Also, any advice/tips would be great. Were having a Backyardigans party, her favorite. I am so excited.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I'd do 3 hrs., I know people in my family have a tendency to say goodbye for another hour after a party ends!

Steph_reynolds
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM

OMG-

my sons photographed portion of his party was, like, 4 hours

bjones2552
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM

My lil one's first bday bash was just 2 hours. He doesnt really like to be around alot of people and it gave him time to take his afternoon nap after the party.

listening to tunesBeth....Mommy of 1 lil cutie!  toddler boyKodi Blake

rufusshu
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I can't imagine renting a hall for a first birthday... I can't imagine renting a hall for anything but MAYBE a sweet sixteen...  My daughter's first birthday party lasted like 5 hours in my back yard.

MrsThompson1023
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM

believe me, i hate paying the money too. lol. but, my house is only 1,200 square feet... perfect for my husband, kaylee, my dog, and me. but not cool for 50-60 people. lol. I wanted to have it in the backyard but I was too worried about rain.

Quoting rufusshu:

I can't imagine renting a hall for a first birthday... I can't imagine renting a hall for anything but MAYBE a sweet sixteen...  My daughter's first birthday party lasted like 5 hours in my back yard.

MommyTo2Boyz
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I'd say 2 hours should do it.  We have a triple party for my son, neice, and cousin.  We normally have around 25-30 people there.  We do three blowing out candles, and 3 kids opening presents and it only takes us an hour and a half. And I should probably mention that we take turns with the kids opening their presents.

MommyTo2Boyz
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Wow! What did you do that lasted 5 hours?

Quoting rufusshu:

s.t.e.p.h
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I would suggest keeping it to a minimum. For a 1 year old, 2 hours is about all they can handle. For my daughters first birthday, we just did dinner and cake with the family, and by the time we opened presents, she was very agitated. People will understand that you're working around the baby's schedule.

((*Steph-23 year old stay at home momma to my 3 March babies:Elijah,Brayden and Hannah. I'm a formula feeding,vaxing,anti-cio,disposable diapering,sometimes co-sleeping,living life to the fullest, happily married momma. Love it or hate it, this is who I am.

LuvinMyBoynGirl
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:17 PM

in my family our parties usually start around 1 and end when everyone leaves, the last person leaves usually around 7 or 8--

Quoting MommyTo2Boyz:

Wow! What did you do that lasted 5 hours?

Quoting rufusshu:

writing

RaydonsMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:18 PM

We rented a venue for 2 hours, but the party ran to 3 hours then the cleanup afterwards. Thankfully they didn't charge more for the extra time and they didn't have anyone else scheduled. I would go for 3 hours...people can always leave early if they want.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)