Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I'm guilty and invalid?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM
  • 31 Replies

Ok after on post today, and many others I've seen on this site I've started to realize something.  When you post information contrary to a person's belief, its invalid and you're just trying not to feel guilty...yep.

Like today someone posted information on how standards around circumcision have changed.  They've again started to say its cleaner and a good STD preventative.  Well aparently by posting or believing that we're justifying our choice, or we must feel guilty.  If not, then its jsut totally invalid.

Now no one is saying formula is better than breast milk, I know that.  But when a mom once dared to post an article that said formula fed children are healthy (yes...the whole article just came out to say they're healthy).  Well again, that mom was aparently tryign to ease her guilt for "poisoning her child."  All it was saying was that kids who have formula are actually healthy, happy and (most important of all) FED kids.

Vaccinations....lets not go there

Just because the information a person presents is different then the information that fed your opinions does not mean they are feeling guilty or that they believe an invalid argument.  Granted I don't take things either way at face value.  I only agree with the circumcision post based on my own research over the last few months.  But if I think something is blatantly stupid like "milk causes osteoporosis" (yeah, heard that whopper earlier this year) then I'll point it out.  I'll also be quick to point out statistics, whether they support or oppose my opinion, are easily manipulated.   BUt Don't sit there and tell me I'm feeling guilty, or that my argument is invalid JUST because its not exactly what you believe.

Don't turn this into a debate over these things either...this isn't about pro this or pro that, its about the fact that we're all going to follow differernt (and usually reliable) sources when it comes to parenting.  DEAL WITH IT.

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Steph_reynolds
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM

its like those people that think everyone is "just jealous" of them, LOL

whatever

katzmeow726
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I mean its ok to disagree and even give counter points...but sheeesh!!!!  As far as jealousy goes, meh the only thing i"m jealous of right now is of my friends who have had their babies already, I'm SOO over this pregnancy!

Quoting Steph_reynolds:

its like those people that think everyone is "just jealous" of them, LOL

whatever

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
CarterMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM

yeah i'll raise my kids my way and you raise your kids your way :) if you see something i do and you want to know MY OPINION on it... i'll give it --- otherwise i try to stay away from all the "drama"

katzmeow726
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I'm working on that, i am a teensey bit opinionated.  I tend to bring out the claws when I feel insulted though

Quoting CarterMommy:

yeah i'll raise my kids my way and you raise your kids your way :) if you see something i do and you want to know MY OPINION on it... i'll give it --- otherwise i try to stay away from all the "drama"

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
Kristen5476
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM

A lot of CafeMom is debate and fun arguments.  Get over it.

katzmeow726
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I"m not talking about debate...thats fine.  I'm talking about the bitching, name calling, and hate. 

Quoting Kristen5476:

A lot of CafeMom is debate and fun arguments.  Get over it.

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
CarterMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:40 PM

yeah that's understandable - my button is weight lol, weird cause it's never been an issue until i came on this site... but when it comes to how i parent my kids... i have 2 amazing, happy healthy boys and another one on the way and always get complimented on how wonderful they are so i must be doing osmething right ;) i don't have to justify my i do/did what i do/did to anyone :)

Quoting katzmeow726:

I'm working on that, i am a teensey bit opinionated.  I tend to bring out the claws when I feel insulted though

Quoting CarterMommy:

me126
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I actually do agree with your post.

I am one of those who believes milk causes Osteoporosis. :P I guess the fact that Osteoporosis is only prominent in the U.S. and Canada should make someone at least research- if nothing else.

katzmeow726
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Two nations that are also heavy into soft drinks, which cna totally cancel out the benefits of vitamin D and calcium!  I've seen arguments both ways, but I tend to lean towards the soft drinks being the culprit.  My grandmother never drank milk and she had a humped back to rival quasi modo (or however you spell it)

Quoting me126:

I actually do agree with your post.

I am one of those who believes milk causes Osteoporosis. :P I guess the fact that Osteoporosis is only prominent in the U.S. and Canada should make someone at least research- if nothing else.

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
katzmeow726
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I tend to get up in arms over vaccinations.  My mom is an infection control nurse and I trust her beyond anythign when it comes to vaccines.  SO when I hear moms saying "people like that are only in it for the money" it irritates me.  Its like they're saying my mom is only helping me because she's one of the greedy health care people.  I feel like I have to defend her :-(

Quoting CarterMommy:

yeah that's understandable - my button is weight lol, weird cause it's never been an issue until i came on this site... but when it comes to how i parent my kids... i have 2 amazing, happy healthy boys and another one on the way and always get complimented on how wonderful they are so i must be doing osmething right ;) i don't have to justify my i do/did what i do/did to anyone :)

Quoting katzmeow726:

Quoting CarterMommy:

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)