Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I believe my neighbor killed my cat!

Posted by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:15 PM
  • 90 Replies

About 3 months ago our cat didn't come home. He has had free roam for the last 3 years. I knew where he went and as far as my closest neighbors, they didn't mind at all. He was very friendly, plus kept the mice out. This neighbor lives a few houses down. I didn't know my cat went that far. I have never seen him go or come from there.

Well this night we couldn't find him, but we could hear him. It was about 1030 at night. So we follow the sound. He is in a cage. We couldn't get the cage open so we took it. We were gone the next day, but that evening a sheriff came to the house. Wanting to know if I had that cat and do I know where the cage is. I said I had it because it was late at night and we couldn't figure out how to get it opened. He told me that I could get it for trespassing. That if the man sees the cat on his yard again he was going to shoot it. Huh? This is from the sheriff. The man is a prison guard and is buddy buddy with the law enforcement so I suppose he can do anything. I understand the man not wanting the cat on his property, but he could at least told me. I think putting cat food in a cage is entrapment. But what do I know.

So for the last 3 month we have kept the cat inside. He didn't like it, but I didn't want him shot. . Well it has been 4 days since I seen my cat. He broke thru my porch screen. Yes anything is possible. But he told me straight out that he would shoot it. My daughter did go over and ask, but he said he hasn't seen it.

What am I to do? Nothing.

If I had found a body, I would call the authorities (if it looked like it had been killed). Probably go straight to the ASPCA since he is buddy with the cops I am sure it would be all my fault. The guy is trapping cats...because he don't like them.

My Butter...

by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dastle
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Omg that is so sad...  Sorry for your family and hopefully he is alright and is just being a cat for a few days and you see him soon... 

two4one
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Wow, I sure hope your cat is alright. You knew there was a danger to your cat and you kept him in even after he begged to go out. I praise you for being so responsible. It's a shame that if he happened on your neighbors lawn that he has taken such action.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

mitch576
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

first and fore most... i am so sorry.

momma...this is not the only thing you put your cats at risk for when allowing them outside.

kids are cruel...they hurt animals...cats are easy targets because many people allow them outside to roam.

teens try to run them down... asshole neighbors try to poison them or shoot them.

i am soo deeply sorry for your loss...it is sad that anyone would hurt any animal.

i would take this as a very unfair... life lesson and keep any furture cats i had in the house.

it simply... isn't the 70's anymore. people are cruel...they don't care.

i am sorry.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

Swtmama62205
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Well if the cats on his yard and keeps coming on to his yard then he can shoot it.  My neighbors cats are always in my yard and i called animal control.  I think its ridiculous that cat owners just let their cats roam around the neighborhood.  Its extremely rude

ChaoticX4
by New Member on May. 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope he turns up alive and well

Go to fullsize image         Go to fullsize image      Albino = A PERSON with ALBINISM. Put the person before the condition!!                                                          

FDNYwife
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Id contact the SPCA anyway - he may be doing this to other animals - leaving food out, trapping and killing them.. I hope you find your cat :(

two4one
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:24 PM

C'mon, give her a break. She learned her lesson. She was keeping the cat in. But shit happens. I am one of the most conscientious pet owners out there, but even my ctas have accidently gotten outside. Luckily for me, they didn't even get out of my yard.

Quoting Swtmama62205:

Well if the cats on his yard and keeps coming on to his yard then he can shoot it.  My neighbors cats are always in my yard and i called animal control.  I think its ridiculous that cat owners just let their cats roam around the neighborhood.  Its extremely rude

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

ChaoticX4
by New Member on May. 9, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Its a cat. Unless its climbing on the window and door screens or scratching up someones cars there isnt anything to complain about. Who cares if it passes through other peoples yards??

Quoting Swtmama62205:

Go to fullsize image         Go to fullsize image      Albino = A PERSON with ALBINISM. Put the person before the condition!!                                                          

youngmm
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:25 PM

What a jerk.

Platinum_Mommy
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM

That really sucks! I hope your kitty is ok!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN