Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Crazy 8 month old! Just a phase? HELP! I'm going crazy!!!

Posted by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is almost 8 months old.  She has been acting crazy!!!  It is normal for her to get a little cranky when I walk away to make her a bottle or whatever... but the last two days it has evolved into some sort of monster....

She SCREAMS if I walk away for two seconds, she yells at me if I won't let her have something or if I take something away, she yells if she is bored, and GOD FORBID you try to get her to go to sleep!  She has also been waking up several times in the night crying/fussing, which is not normal for her.  (I guess she did do that last time she got teeth...)   And when she starts screaming it is nearly impossible to calm her down now!  She even refuses to take her pacifier and screams harder if we try to give it to her.    I thought maybe it was her tummy, because I have been slowly increasing the amount of formula I give her each day.  But she did fine on it last week.  And if it was her tummy, she would cry all the time, right?  We were at the mall with my mom (who gives her her undivided attention) yesterday like all day and she didn't fuss once. 

Sooo, is this just a phase?  I feel like I have a newborn again!  Please help me!  And please bump if you don't know.

I am a SAH, BFed/EPed for 7 mos, alt-schedule vaxing, disposable diapering, Glenn Beck watching, Dr. Laura listening, conservative and agnostic and pro-life because I don't need religion to have morals, Hubby loving Mommy to my 7 month old beautiful baby girl!  And I am my kid's mom!

by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LolaBellesMommy
by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Bump please!

I am a SAH, BFed/EPed for 7 mos, alt-schedule vaxing, disposable diapering, Glenn Beck watching, Dr. Laura listening, conservative and agnostic and pro-life because I don't need religion to have morals, Hubby loving Mommy to my 7 month old beautiful baby girl!  And I am my kid's mom!

cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM

i feel for u we r 6 months old and that is our deal also wish u luck

LolaBellesMommy
by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Ugh!  Is there no end in sight?  ;)

Quoting cowgirls10181:

i feel for u we r 6 months old and that is our deal also wish u luck

LolaBellesMommy
by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Nobody has any input?  I am going crazy here!

frustrated

Phenomemom
by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM

My eight month old son is the same way.  It's a nightmare. I have no words of wisdom, really, as my first was not like that. As of right now, I just let him protest while I do what I have to do.

Miles Peyton, 7/18/07

Jonas Alexander, 9/8/08

USMCwife22
by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

It could just be a stage, she is getting old enough to realize what pushes your buttons.lol..i know my DS acts like a hellion sometimes to get a reaction....you say your mom gives her undivided attention? she might be a little spoiled..lol..there is alot of reasons why shes actinng crazy i suppose..it could be something you just have to ride out!! good luck mama!

LolaBellesMommy
by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Well at least I know it's normal then... yikes!  I let her protest yesterday while I made her bottle and she cried/screamed so hard her nose was runny!  I've never seen her cry so hard.  You would have thought I was leaving her forever!  It just makes me crazy, I don't know what to do about it, I just get completely fed up.

Quoting Phenomemom:

My eight month old son is the same way.  It's a nightmare. I have no words of wisdom, really, as my first was not like that. As of right now, I just let him protest while I do what I have to do.

purplemoosemom
by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:49 AM

That sucks.  My dd is 8 months.  She's our 4th :)  I can remember my oldest being VERY demanding like that.  She started out as what I considered an "easy" baby and turned into a monster--and stayed a monster. 

There are some things you can try, but it may just be her personality.  When my DD acts like that, I pick her up, love on her, and put her back down.  When I put her down, I reassure her I will be right back.  Then I go do my thing and come back.  She may sit there and fuss, but she gets over it.  You could also try taking her with you when you go to make a bottle, fix supper, etc. and let her sit in a saucer nearby and watch you. 

As for at night, I EBF still.  I am working on getting Erin to sleep in her own crib and take naps on her own w/out me having to nurse her to sleep.  To do this, I started with naps.  I would lay her down, reassure her, turn on her mobile and some music, and leave the room.  I noticed if I left the door open, she was less likely to soothe herself than if I closed the door.  So, the door is always closed when she goes down for a nap/bedtime.  At first, she would SCREAM her head off--for a long time.  I would go in there every few minutes and pat her butt and talk soothingly to her.  After about a week,  she was napping 1x day by herself in her crib.  I then upped it to 2x a day. 

Now we are working on nights.  I started by making her sleep in her crib when she would fall asleep nursing.  that was probably the hardest b/c she would get me up 6 or more times a night for about a week and half.  I'm now at the point where I can lay her in her crib in the evenings and she will fuss for a minute or two and go to sleep.  We decided that we wouldn't let her lay down tehre and scream and get worked up, so if she doesn't appear to be calming herself down, we go get her and love on her for a while.  Snuggle, nurse, whatever and try again about 15 minutes later. 

Another thing we do is encourage her to play on the floor by herself.  We try to get her to amuse herself w/the toys around, etc.  At first, she didn't like it--now, she's a pro.  It just takes time, patience, and redirection/training.  (And it really  helps that my other kids are 3,4 and 6 and ADORE her!)

Anyways, I'd say it's a phase, but you will have to guide her out of it so it doesn't become a habit.  Good luck! :)

CJ64
by on May. 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM

It sounds like she is going through a phase for sure.  It's called true attachment where when you are out of her eyesight she becomes very agitated and uneasy.  She needs to be reassured that you are not abandoning her and will be right back in a very calm tone or even talk her through the whole process of  what you are going to do.  As for the tantrums you should somewhat cheer her on when she is in the middle of it.  I know it sounds strange but she will become somewhat confused and may possibly stop to figure out why your not upset and quiet down.

LolaBellesMommy
by on May. 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Yes, Lola loves to play on the floor, but she gets frustrated because she is trying to learn to crawl.  (She almost has it!)  And since she doesn't nurse anymore, hasn't since she was 3 mos, I don't have that problem.  However, it is easier to get her to sleep if she has a bottle right before.  She gets all drowsy and then we lay her down.  She has slept in her own crib in her own room since 5 mos, and we all sleep better as a result! 

But I don't know how I should guide her out of the screaming.  I don't want it to become a habit, wouldn't picking her up everytime she fusses reinforce it?  I have tried being firm and saying no, but that just makes things worse...

Quoting purplemoosemom:

That sucks.  My dd is 8 months.  She's our 4th :)  I can remember my oldest being VERY demanding like that.  She started out as what I considered an "easy" baby and turned into a monster--and stayed a monster. 

There are some things you can try, but it may just be her personality.  When my DD acts like that, I pick her up, love on her, and put her back down.  When I put her down, I reassure her I will be right back.  Then I go do my thing and come back.  She may sit there and fuss, but she gets over it.  You could also try taking her with you when you go to make a bottle, fix supper, etc. and let her sit in a saucer nearby and watch you. 

As for at night, I EBF still.  I am working on getting Erin to sleep in her own crib and take naps on her own w/out me having to nurse her to sleep.  To do this, I started with naps.  I would lay her down, reassure her, turn on her mobile and some music, and leave the room.  I noticed if I left the door open, she was less likely to soothe herself than if I closed the door.  So, the door is always closed when she goes down for a nap/bedtime.  At first, she would SCREAM her head off--for a long time.  I would go in there every few minutes and pat her butt and talk soothingly to her.  After about a week,  she was napping 1x day by herself in her crib.  I then upped it to 2x a day. 

Now we are working on nights.  I started by making her sleep in her crib when she would fall asleep nursing.  that was probably the hardest b/c she would get me up 6 or more times a night for about a week and half.  I'm now at the point where I can lay her in her crib in the evenings and she will fuss for a minute or two and go to sleep.  We decided that we wouldn't let her lay down tehre and scream and get worked up, so if she doesn't appear to be calming herself down, we go get her and love on her for a while.  Snuggle, nurse, whatever and try again about 15 minutes later. 

Another thing we do is encourage her to play on the floor by herself.  We try to get her to amuse herself w/the toys around, etc.  At first, she didn't like it--now, she's a pro.  It just takes time, patience, and redirection/training.  (And it really  helps that my other kids are 3,4 and 6 and ADORE her!)

Anyways, I'd say it's a phase, but you will have to guide her out of it so it doesn't become a habit.  Good luck! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)