Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do they remove a twin that passes away in the womb?

Posted by on May. 15, 2009 at 3:18 AM
  • 17 Replies

I guess the title says it all.  How do they remove it without hurting the other twin?  What about if your body "passes it"?  Doesn't your cervix have to dialate to pass it?  If so, how does the other baby not deliver?

Thanks ladies.  My friend just lost a twin and they removed it because it would have been dangerous to my friend.  They did some sort of procedure on her to remove baby A, surgery of some sort, not csection.  I just didn't want to ask her how they did it bc I know she is hurt.  She was in the hosp for 4days

by on May. 15, 2009 at 3:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicahall1985
by on May. 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM

never thought about it.. but curious to know so here is ya a bump!!!!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM

No clue but from what i understand sometimes the mother has to carry the non viable twin all the way until the living one is delivered. I guess it would depend on several factors.

squidlife4me
by on May. 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM

Well I am not sure the particulars.. but I think it depends on the situation.  I think if the twin that has passed becomes toxic for the living twin they can try to remove it  but then you pose a risk of killing the other twin.

I think mostly they let it stay and when the mom delivers they deliver both babies or (depending on how soon the twin is lost) it can be reabsorbed into the body.

heidi_val
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2009 at 7:53 AM

I know someone that was supposedly pregnant with twins and one died and she said they just went in and got it. Honestly, I don't think she was pregnant with twins, she was looking for attention. I have no idea. 

megancalista
by on May. 15, 2009 at 7:58 AM

My best friend was one of triplets. The other two died before 12 weeks and she had to carry them until she went into labor with my friend....sad but that was the only way to insure the living baby's survival....she was also born 6 weeks early.

lcappytan05

I was curious, so I did a little research....and here is something I found about it.

http://www.multiplebirthsfamilies.com/articles/ber_q14.html

Pregnancy ticker its a boy

Are you an Evolution Mommy??? Come join my group! click here!

Amberwavessss

Ditto

Quoting frndlyfn:

No clue but from what i understand sometimes the mother has to carry the non viable twin all the way until the living one is delivered. I guess it would depend on several factors.

wiener
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I dont think they can, I think you have to carry full term and deliver it with the other.

Nicole
luckycharm70669
by on May. 15, 2009 at 8:02 AM

I know one momma who was in this position.  Baby B passed on at around 18-20 weeks.  She delivered at 29weeks for baby A and baby B.  Baby A is doing great. 

redheadsmommie
by on May. 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM

my little sister was siamse(sp.)twin. her twin died at 5 months. they left the twin in and it started to eat parts of my sister. so no they do not....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN