Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need your brutal honesty

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm writing an article for work on car seat safety I've been looking at it for the last four hours and I am starting too see dancing car seats. 

AS the target audience for this article in obviously mommy's I thought I would run it past your eyes to get a some opinions and thoughts.  I've posted it in a journal post - please read it and any feed back is welcome - from bad grammar to content.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1471074/Lets_talk_car_seat

thank you so much ladies.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I think it is great - clear, concise, well written.

The only thing I would maybe change is to add that a seat can also be outgrown when ff if the tips of the child's ears are above the shell.  Not the most common way to outgrow a seat - but it can happen...

Nice job mama!  :)

austinsm0mmy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I had completely forgotten about that one.  See I need you ladies.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I think it is great - clear, concise, well written.

The only thing I would maybe change is to add that a seat can also be outgrown when ff if the tips of the child's ears are above the shell.  Not the most common way to outgrow a seat - but it can happen...

Nice job mama!  :)

mom22gr8boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM

yep very good except for a few grammar errors

austinsm0mmy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Please feel free too point them out especially any that are glaringly obvious.  Like I said I'm seeing dancing car seats now so fresh eyes can see what I can't.

Quoting mom22gr8boys:

yep very good except for a few grammar errors

brodeysmom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM

I'm an English Education major who will be student teaching in the fall so this is great practice for me. I'm going through and editing right now. I'll send it back to you when I'm done. So far, it's good. Just a few slight errors. No biggie!

khencke
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM
It's a great article... just a few grammatical errors. Overall, though, Good Job!!
DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
mom22gr8boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:53 AM

this is what i came up with..i think all numbers under ten are supposed to be spelled out.also i am not sure about the rule with lie and lay so not sure if your use of lay is correct or not.i am by no means an english scholar so i could be wrong as well..lol

Car seat Tips

One of the biggest considerations parents have when traveling with children is car seat safety.  There is a more information and conflicting opinions on this subject than on any other.  With car accidents being the number one killer of children in the US under the age of five we thought it was important to give you the correct information.  So we talked to a couple of certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians, here is what we found out.

There are three basic stages in the progression from infant seat to seat belt, and three main types of seat you will need to use.  All children should be kept in the back seat until they are 12 years old.

Rear-facing - infant seat and convertible seats

This is the first stage, most of us are familiar with the rear facing infant seats but fewer realize that once children have outgrown the infant seat they can continue to rear face in a convertible.  Legally in EVERY STATE children MUST be kept rear facing until they are one year old AND 20lbs.  This is considered the minimum recommendation.  The American Academy of Pediatrics  now recommends that children are kept rear facing to two years old and 30lbs or until they have reached the weight limit of their seat.  In the U.S., most car seats will comfortably rear face a toddler to 35lbs.  When children are rear facing the harness straps must be below their shoulders. The harness should ALWAYS be snug against the child’s body – you should not be able to pinch the harness.

Children are 5 times safer when rear facing because the car seat cradles their vulnerable head and neck preventing it from being thrown forward in an accident - which can result in fatal injuries.  In many European countries children are kept rear facing to five years old and the number of children killed and injured in car accidents is greatly reduced.

www.aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a

Forward Facing Harness - convertible and heigh weight harness seats

Once your little one is too big to rear face it's time to turn them forward facing.  Remember to change their strap position so that it is now at or above the shoulder.   If your vehicle has a top tether you should also now install your seat using the top tether - this drastically reduces the head extrusion in an accident.  When you install your seat you should not be able to move it more than 1" in any direction.  The harness has been outgrown when your child exceeds the weight limit, their ears are above the top of the seat or when their shoulders are above the top harness slot.

It is important to keep children in a five point harness until they are old enough to sit safely in a booster; usually around 5 or 6 years old.  When children are placed in boosters too young the seat belt does not fit them properly and they are at risk of submarining under the belt or receiving internal injuries from the seat belt.  Problems with the seat belt not fitting properly are only aggravated because young children have a habit of slouching, falling asleep, or removing the shoulder strap because it's uncomfortable.

Booster seats - high and low back booster seats

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children under 8 years of age and 4ft 9" should be restrained in a child seat or booster seat.  Booster seats are designed to lift your child and position the belt to fit your child safely.  Vehicle seat belts are designed for adults not young children.  The seat belt should lie flat across your child upper thighs and not sit on the stomach or cut into the child stomach.  The shoulder belt should lie across the middle of the child's shoulder; it should not be falling off or digging into the neck.  This is proven to be the most effective position for a seatbelt in an accident.

The minimum recommendation for moving your child to a booster is 4 years old and 40lbs, although right now most states don't have a specific law regarding this.  Before you move your child into a booster you should be confident that your child can sit properly and leave the seat belt alone on every single ride.

Important things to remember with booster seats - is NEVER use one with a lap belt only.  This is never safe.  The other important thing to take into consideration is that high back boosters provide extra side protection.  You should also always have a head rest behind your booster seat to provide head support that would otherwise be missing.

Finally

Remember the best seat for you is the one that fits your child, car and budget.  Always check the laws of where you are traveling too as different countries and states have different laws and requirements.  To check the laws across the US  go to http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx.  Before you travel have your seat checked by a car seat tech to make sure they are installed correctly, you can find a local car seat tech or check event at www.safekids.org.  Happy and safe traveling.

mom22gr8boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:56 AM

is extrusion a word?i have never heard of it

brodeysmom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:16 AM

would it be possible for me to email it to you? i did  my editing in a word document and i tried to copy/paste but it loses all my marks.

brodeysmom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:22 AM

ex·tru·sion (k-strzhn)

n.
1. A thrusting or forcing out of a normal position.
2. The eruption or migration of a tooth beyond its normal occlusal position.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/extrusion
Quoting mom22gr8boys:

is extrusion a word?i have never heard of it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)