Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of ADD/ADHD Kids... *EDITED*

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM
  • 32 Replies

What were your childs symptoms..

How early did you detect their problem

Are they on medication

How are you dealing with the behaviors

**  I think my son may have adhd but am not sure.  I am having issues with the doctor but will be going to get him tested.  hes only 3 but very very very hyper  from the moment he gets up well into the night.  We are testing him for adhd and also for sleep apnea.. as this can often mimic the same behavioral issues as adhd.. but I wanted a little bit of advice from other moms.. thanks so much!

**EDIT** 

Okay for the record.. I do NOT want to put my 3 year old on medication.. I am just trying to gauge how many kids are on meds and how many are using behavioral modification techniques.  Also I have had a few people that are ECE experienced as well as his old doctor tell me that he is definitely more active then a "normal or typical" 3 year old.  My sister reccommended me seeing someone at the regional center.. ( she is very experienced in this stuff.). 

That is why I am asking. I was just trying to see if my son displays the same or similar behaviors or issues as other kids' with adhd...

Thanks so much!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squidlife4me
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:40 AM

????

LauraKW
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM

I KNEW my youngest had ADHD (older brother does, and so do I).  He is actually on the autism spectrum as well.  If you can get an appt with a developmental pediatrician, I would suggest that route.  Regular pediatricians will often tell you they can't diagnose ADHD until around age 5 or 6.

squidlife4me
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Thank you! I am taking my twins to see the devo counselor and I think I will have my oldest be seen also!

Quoting LauraKW:

I KNEW my youngest had ADHD (older brother does, and so do I).  He is actually on the autism spectrum as well.  If you can get an appt with a developmental pediatrician, I would suggest that route.  Regular pediatricians will often tell you they can't diagnose ADHD until around age 5 or 6.

LauraKW
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Quoting squidlife4me:

Thank you! I am taking my twins to see the devo counselor and I think I will have my oldest be seen also!

Quoting LauraKW:

I can help you out some more tomorrow, but right now I'm too sleepy to be anything but sarcastic :).

squidlife4me
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:10 AM

lol.. thanks!

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting squidlife4me:

Quoting LauraKW:

I can help you out some more tomorrow, but right now I'm too sleepy to be anything but sarcastic :).

squidlife4me
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:20 AM

bump

perfectkitten
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Doctors can't really diagnose a child with ADD/ADHD at that early of an age. I don't believe in medications for children at an early age either. My DD was supposedly diagnosed with ADD as a child and I completely disagreed with the diagnosis. To me her father just didn't want to take the time to see if there were any deeper issues with her. Don't be so fast to judge this condition and get more than one opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
mitch576
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:12 AM

what did the sleep study say? does he have obstructed sleep apnia?

if he does... i would focus on that and not teh adhd because as you know...they can mimic each other.

as for "clinical" adhd....my oldest son has high functioning autism, adhd {severe combined type two}

and oppositional defiant disorder.

he is NOT  medicated. you really run into issues when you try to medicate the autistic.

most autistic children have one form of sensory dysfunction or another... giving them stimulants makes the sensory issues worse.

we tried meds and it turned into a nightmare.

my sister used meds all while going through school for her adhd and they worked wonders! she would not have graduated without the meds.

so... it is a very individual issue...some kids respond well to meds....some don't.

ther are going to be people here who chastise you for thinking about meds.

those people are completely ignorant.

meds are a LAST resort.

a good mom tries them last..... a good mom also knows when a medical condition is beyond their control and they need help.

sometimes meds are no good...but sometimes they make all the difference. why deny your child something that may very well help?  do you know what i mean?

last resort.....if all else fails, try the meds.

the school district under the no child left behind act { yes it covers your son... 3 yr olds can recieve services from the school district}

will provide am "occupational therapist" who will work with your son on sensory integration... sensory regulation.  this will help him a bit.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

mitch576
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:14 AM

they most certainly can diagnose a child at 3 yrs old....they can diagnos autism as early as 12 months now.

i do agree with second opinions.... i do agree that 3 is a bit young for meds.

but...we don't live with this kid. we don't know what kind of behaviors and issues he is having. sure the mom can try to explain it all day....but we don't live witht eh kid so how do we really get that big picture?

Quoting perfectkitten:

Doctors can't really diagnose a child with ADD/ADHD at that early of an age. I don't believe in medications for children at an early age either. My DD was supposedly diagnosed with ADD as a child and I completely disagreed with the diagnosis. To me her father just didn't want to take the time to see if there were any deeper issues with her. Don't be so fast to judge this condition and get more than one opinion.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

perfectkitten
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:34 AM

That was my experience you don't have to get snippy. LOL!! Your also saying that every diagnosis at an early age has been correct? No. I have to say I don't agree with you.

Quoting mitch576:

they most certainly can diagnose a child at 3 yrs old....they can diagnos autism as early as 12 months now.

i do agree with second opinions.... i do agree that 3 is a bit young for meds.

but...we don't live with this kid. we don't know what kind of behaviors and issues he is having. sure the mom can try to explain it all day....but we don't live witht eh kid so how do we really get that big picture?

Quoting perfectkitten:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)