Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

there has got to be something you can take while breastfeeding?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:28 AM
  • 25 Replies

I feel so sick, like a cold, but then now my throat is killing me like strep throat. my head feels like a head cold i cant breat, i cant believe there is nothing that i can take that is safe, i called walgreens to ask if i could take tylenol cold and sinus congestion and he said no that it is not safe for baby, that it will keep up her all night most likely, and that if i wanted to take a half of one or even one, but wouldnt recomend it,

i just dont believe there is not any thing you can take for a bad cold or being sick while breasfeeding, this sucks it is just like being pregnant almost minus the baby in your belly,

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
junebug624
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Really? no tylenol?  My doc said that I could take it while bf.   I would call the doc and ask him what you should take.

~June

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college attending, loving my soldier, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

TXmommy4Baylee

I dunno....but I would have thought that you could take tylenol cold because my ob let me take it while pregnant....I don't have a clue tho

anikahaynes1

Well what about suddafed? my ob told me that was ok to take during pregnancy, so shouldn't it be ok to take it while breastfeeding too? i never have bf so i don't know, but good luck and i hopw you feel better soon.

luvmybaby430
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I can take regular tylenol, but what will that do for a cold. not much ya know?

Quoting junebug624:

Really? no tylenol?  My doc said that I could take it while bf.   I would call the doc and ask him what you should take.

~June

oceanus407
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Really? When I was sick when I first started breastfeeding the Tylenol brand of cold medicine was what the LC at my daughters dr office said to take. What kinda sucked though is the fact that they only helped for about 4 hours at a time.

myfoursonsks
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Here is a list of approved medications for you to take while breastfeeding.  This is put out by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content-nw/full/pediatrics;108/3/776/T6

luvmybaby430

thank you. I thought i was getting better, but i feel worse today then i did three days ago. my throat and chest hurt super bad.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Well what about suddafed? my ob told me that was ok to take during pregnancy, so shouldn't it be ok to take it while breastfeeding too? i never have bf so i don't know, but good luck and i hopw you feel better soon.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Do you have any tea or peppermint candy?  Honey helps soothe the throat. Have your guy run out to store to buy you some chicken noodle soup.  There are these lollipop things made by little remedies (i think) that sooth the throat as well.

luvmybaby430

thank you.

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Here is a list of approved medications for you to take while breastfeeding.  This is put out by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content-nw/full/pediatrics;108/3/776/T6

luvmybaby430
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:33 AM

i am making some noodles now, so hopefully that will help and i think there is some mint tea in there too, so hopefully that will help my throat.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Do you have any tea or peppermint candy?  Honey helps soothe the throat. Have your guy run out to store to buy you some chicken noodle soup.  There are these lollipop things made by little remedies (i think) that sooth the throat as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)