Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Since We're on the Subject... bleeped out stuff

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:28 AM
  • 13 Replies

So last december, I was living in Germany with dh and his mom and grandma came to visit.  They have known that I am Wiccan for 2 years.  I do not mention it, or even speak of it, but dh had told them that was what I practice and told me he supports it.  Btw, dh is Agnostic, and told me that whatever relgious practices I want our son involved in was fine.

Well, his grandma is very active at her chuch which is Lutheran (?).. she decided to get my son different Christian items like a bible.  She knows I do NOT believe in the Christian bible and I was kinda hurt.  I understand they are special to her, but shouldnt my wishes as his mother have been respected?  I did not say anything about her gifts, but I figured I would put them away after they left to be brought out when my son was old enough to understand what the items meant. I'm not going to give a bible to 4mo old who will destroy it.  I feel that when my son is old enough, he can choose whichever religion he wants. 

To make it a point, that it was my house in which they were staying, I left 2 Wiccan books out.  I wanted them to know, that if they were to push a religion on me, they should be aware of how I feel.  Also, I knew they didnt know anything about my practices details (just what hollywood misconstrues), and figured if they really wanted to know, they could have at it.  One book was in the living room and one elsewhere.  I never said anything about them or made it a point that I was putting them out.  Well, that def caused WWIII in my house and they left early 2 days later.  I was told to never bring up my "wiccan sh*t" again around them and that is was "bullsh*t"  Honestly, I didnt even say one word until I asked dh what was bothering him.  I found out that instead of talking to me, they b*tched him out which made him angry with me.

Keep in mind these are very Christian women, or at least claim to be... so in your opinion (and I'm fully prepared to take em all), how should I have handled the situation?  What would you have done differently?

~June

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college attending, loving my soldier, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
junebug624
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:32 AM

10 views, no replies?  Come on I've seen plenty of opinions on here... and if you're up this late, you must be bored lol 

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college attending, loving my soldier, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

lexisandjayden
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:32 AM

did I miss something....they were angry because you had to books in your house???? omg if so...you are going to have quite a time w/ the 2 of them. gl 

knittingboy n girlOne day at a time.....

LuvmySFSGT
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:33 AM

My husbands step-grandma asked if I was Gothic the first time I met her because I had black nail polish on. 2 days later she gave me a bible.

This was my first Christmas in the family...So my MIL always makes funny comments when she is around. She will say stuff like "Hey Ash...why are you wearing color today?"  She even asked me to paint her nails black and had me do it right in front of her...then she turned to her and said "Hey Mom...you want Ashley to paint your nails?"

She cracks me up. Luckily she got off the Gothic kick 3 years ago...now she just asks me if I am anorexic or bulimic every time I see her. The last time she asked me I said "No actually I gained a pound...I will be right back" and went to the bathroom...lol.

junebug624
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM

You didnt miss anything.  That was exactly what started the fight.  They acted like they may catch a disease by the very presence of 2 books.  I still dont get it, so I'm hoping someone else can figure this one out.

Quoting lexisandjayden:

did I miss something....they were angry because you had to books in your house???? omg if so...you are going to have quite a time w/ the 2 of them. gl 

gnr
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Umm I don't really think you did anything wrong.  It's your house your entitled to leave your dirty underwear out if you want to (although I wouldn't recommend it lol).  I get the same thing from my mother.  I asked my father to take back some beer bottles for me and she found them in the van, next thing I know I'm getting pamphlets on the evils of Alcohol.eye rolling

user521
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:38 AM

I dont see why Christians feel the need to push religion.  If they just followed what the bible said "to love one another," and set an example by not being a total ass it would have more of an effect than shoving bibles in their face or bitching that they are going to hell.  Fear doesnt turn people to Jesus, love sure does have a better option.  A christian can always talk the talk, but it's their walk so to speak that sparks interest IMO.  Sry you have to deal with crap like that although I think a lot of times they are thinking they are doing whats right so you wont "go to hell."

CafeMom Tickers
Gabismom241
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:41 AM

What is the difference between your religion and your husband's?

junebug624
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:42 AM

I dont understand pushing religion either.  Honestly, no one even knows what I practice except close family and friends (well and now all reading this lol), because I do not make it a point to say it.  I am proud yes, but I dont like it pushed on me, so I wont push it on you.  I understand, that there are a lot of misconceptions about Wicca, and if they had asked me, I would have loved to tell them, we are really not that different in our basic principles like "Harm ye none, do what ye will" is the same as "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you"

Quoting user521:

I dont see why Christians feel the need to push religion.  If they just followed what the bible said "to love one another," and set an example by not being a total ass it would have more of an effect than shoving bibles in their face or bitching that they are going to hell.  Fear doesnt turn people to Jesus, love sure does have a better option.  A christian can always talk the talk, but it's their walk so to speak that sparks interest IMO.  Sry you have to deal with crap like that although I think a lot of times they are thinking they are doing whats right so you wont "go to hell."

junebug624
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM

He's Agnostic, believing that there is a higher power, but not as a religion thing... mine is Wicca, which believes in a Goddess and God (some only believe in the Goddess).  Wiccans can be in a coven (church type thing) or solitary (this is mine)

Quoting Gabismom241:

Gabismom241
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Quoting junebug624:

He's Agnostic, believing that there is a higher power, but not as a religion thing... mine is Wicca, which believes in a Goddess and God (some only believe in the Goddess).  Wiccans can be in a coven (church type thing) or solitary (this is mine)

Quoting Gabismom241:

Oh, ok. You might as well get used to the idea that most Christians are going to give you a hard time. It's pathetic considering what they claim to believe in but ....I don't necessarily think you did the wrong thing, but to keep the peace I would not have left the 2 books out. Yeah, it's your house and all, but I just wouldn't have wanted to cause the friction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)