• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me!

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

How do I get a dog to stop barking?! I brought home a stray puppy a little over a month ago and she has recently found her "bark" I guess you could say lol. She will sit down and bark repeatedly! Even if I'm right next to her petting her! I think she is part dachshund and she is only about 9 weeks old or so. She is sitting in my kitchen right now barking her head off and my son is trying to sleep. How can I make her keep quiet?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ceemuhreeashbee
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:45 AM

bah, I have a dauchshund.

We Cesar Millan style poke her and say 'cht!'.. actually, now we just have to make the magic noise and she usually stops.

mommy1711
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Hi, That sounds stressful but I couldn't help but chuckle, thinking of a cute little puppy! I am no professional but have you tried discipline/consequences? Like pick a room (a laundry room might be good) and when she starts, go put her somewhere with a door, or where you can put up a gate. Then, she will just bark and bark, but in the beginning you may have to go in there and work with her, telling her no, stop, or use whatever word you want her to learn for the command to stop barking. Then when ever she does take a break, bring her out and praise her. Just repeat it and she should learn the consequence. Hopefully that would just teach her the command to stop when she is told, and can know when it is Ok to bark, such as someone at the door. Maybe if she doesn't stop, she needs professional training!

Good luck to you!

bribribri
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I'm not trying to be mean or anything...but from MY experience...all the dachshund's I've known have been seriously retarded, like to the point that I am convinced they were all a product of incest. So I'm not sure I can help at all on this one, because we lived with one of those little weasels for 6 years and it would still try to bite me if I touched it. Thank goodness I live far far away now. haha.

.::i absolutely adore::.
|my husband and son|

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:50 AM

hmmm...idk....

maybe it ate one of your peach oranges and went insane.

Monkey_in_the_Grass_by_SemiGekko-4.gif picture by dmarie2101     please-2-1.jpg picture by dmarie2101

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on May. 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

LukesMommy912
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Dana are you stalking me?! Lol and I don't like oranges so we don't have any here so that can't be it, try again! sticking out tongue

Quoting dmarie2101:

hmmm...idk....

maybe it ate one of your peach oranges and went insane.

LukesMommy912
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Thanks I will have to try that. She's doing a little better today but she's been outside most of the time.

Quoting mommy1711:

Hi, That sounds stressful but I couldn't help but chuckle, thinking of a cute little puppy! I am no professional but have you tried discipline/consequences? Like pick a room (a laundry room might be good) and when she starts, go put her somewhere with a door, or where you can put up a gate. Then, she will just bark and bark, but in the beginning you may have to go in there and work with her, telling her no, stop, or use whatever word you want her to learn for the command to stop barking. Then when ever she does take a break, bring her out and praise her. Just repeat it and she should learn the consequence. Hopefully that would just teach her the command to stop when she is told, and can know when it is Ok to bark, such as someone at the door. Maybe if she doesn't stop, she needs professional training!

Good luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)