Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy after the age of 35. What to expect?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM
  • 7 Replies

Not me. My sister is expecting her second child, her first is 18. She's 7 weeks 3 days today and 37 years old. I know to expect some extra tests, but are there any momma's that have been there so that she knows what to expect?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
squidlife4me
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:24 AM

I am not that old.. but I know she will have some extra testing and will probablly be considered high risk!

Congrats to your sis.. and WOW what an age difference!!

=D

tgirl715
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:29 AM

I am 37 and had a baby last year. I pretty much had the normal test. Nuchal test at 12 weeks. Ultrasound at 20 weeks. They may have her see a high risk doc because of her age. They will also do non stress test at every appointment beginning around 32-34 weeks. Hope this helps feel free to ask any other questions=)

Haleigh Alexis

TerrorMom
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2009 at 3:30 AM

Quoting squidlife4me:

I am not that old.. but I know she will have some extra testing and will probablly be considered high risk!

Congrats to your sis.. and WOW what an age difference!!

=D

Yeah, this baby is an unexpected blessing :) I know my pregnancy at 31 was difficult physically, I just wish I remembered more of the little things that would make this easier on her. Physically, theres no way I could safely carry a baby to term now :( But her little button has a nice strong heartbeat :)

Tigger9406
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:31 AM

I was 37 when my son was born.  We didn't have the extra testing done.  We just decided not to have them done.  The only problem I had was I developed gestational diabetes.  I had to watch what I ate and had to check my blood sugar 4 times a day.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

nikitaboom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Well, with higher age...there could be some health issues on her end..so they mighthae her see a high risk dr. Normally at age 37 you begin see the sgns of Highblood pressure and other things of that nature. If she is in good health I dont see any abnormal testing.

katiecloot
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I had my first daughter at 35 (2 months before my 36th birthday) only extra test I had was one blood test for abnormalities.  I am now 23 weeks pregnant with my second daughter and I am 39 years old.  No extra testing except the blood test again.  Health is the same, just maybe a little bit more tired but I am running around after a 3 year old lol.  My doctor is not in the least bit worried about the age thing so tell her not to stress herself out to much and to just enjoy it.

LorieToth
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:27 AM

My daughter was born 5 weeks before I turned 43.  I was considered high risk and she was my first so I had all the extra testing as well.  The worst was the amnio.  The procedure itself wasn't that bad, it was the AFTERMATH that sucked!  I was down for the count for about 4 hours afterward.  Thank goodness my husband was with me -- he practically had to carry me out of the doctor's office!  Other than that, my pregnancy and delivery were very textbook.  And my daughter is very healthy and thriving!

Good luck to your sister!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)