Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one who did not know this?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM
  • 18 Replies

I was talking to one of my girlfriends earlier today and she wanted to know if DH and I wanted to get together with her and her DH to get drinks at this Sushi place nearby. I just laughed and told her that it would be pointless because both me and her are only 20 so we would just have to sit there. But then she told me that here in TX, when you are married you can legally consume alcohol but your spouse has to order the drink for you and serve it to you, and he or she has to be able to see you at all times. She said that she gets drinks with her DH all the time, she just always makes sure they both have their drivers license and their marriage license with them in case they have to prove that they are married. I have never been a drinker at all, but there are a few times I would have liked to have a margarita or something with DH every now and then lol. I just thought this was interesting for those who are in TX (or other states with this same law).

ยง 106.04 โ€“ Consumption of Alcohol by a Minor

(aโ€“b) A minor commits an offense if they consume alcohol unless they are in the visible presence of, and have the consent of their adult parent, legal guardian, or spouse.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
neenerashley
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Your spouse has to be 21+ I think. Only certain places do it. Applebees is not one of them lol.<< found out the hard wayLOL!

ALSO if your Gaurdian iswith you can drink.

Im pretty close to TX (15 minutes) New mexico isnt like that.

leanne_7845
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Texas is pretty awesome like that huh?  My BIL and his 19 yo son play pool at a local pool hall frequently and he buys him a beer every now and then.   (Not like going to the bar and getting drunk kinda thing....lol)  I think it's kinda cool he's able to do that if he wants to. 

LeAnne.gif picture by punkrockmomma30

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2009 at 3:29 AM

That is true. We live in South tx now. We haven't ever tried to drink with me being udnerage because iw as pregnant at the time.You don't need your marriage certifficate though atleast everyone i talked to said you didn't need it. My hubby ordered me a drink at chillies one night and i forgot my id they handed to him and then gave it to me and that was in NC. If your deiers license has his last name i don't see why their would be a problem.

squidlife4me
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:31 AM

huh.. well there ya go.. now go get you a martini!

Erica_Smerica
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:36 AM

Wow- crazy. That would have been good to know a few years ago. :D

Do any other states have that?

strwberryfields
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:36 AM

haha I plan on it!

Quoting squidlife4me:

huh.. well there ya go.. now go get you a martini!

cjsmom0206
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Depends on the establishment. I worked at a few places in TX that would not honor that.

strwberryfields
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Yeah DH is 21 :)

Quoting neenerashley:

Your spouse has to be 21+ I think. Only certain places do it. Applebees is not one of them lol.<< found out the hard wayLOL!

ALSO if your Gaurdian iswith you can drink.

Im pretty close to TX (15 minutes) New mexico isnt like that.

EmmysMom85
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:39 AM

That's pretty cool... I wonder if anyone would ever get married just so they could drink?!? lol... Honestly, I'm sure they would.

strwberryfields
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:40 AM

Yeah that's what my friend said so she told me she usually calls ahead before making any plans. I wonder why though? I guess just to be careful because I am sure there are idiots out there who will take advantage of it and do something stupid...

Quoting cjsmom0206:

Depends on the establishment. I worked at a few places in TX that would not honor that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)