• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you still use this name? (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM
  • 31 Replies

Hubby and I have been discussing names and haven't been able to agree on any. Yesterday at the zoo, I heard a woman say a girls name. I looked at my husband and said the full name to him and we were both like "that's the name". After thinking about the name for an hour, I realized my cousin named his daughter the same first name. We barely see them and their middle and last name would be different. Would you still use it? I was going to email my cousin and ask if we could use it?!

We've agreed on Sophia Charlotte! But that depends on what my cousin thinks or do you think we should say screw it and just use it.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nevaehmommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:01 AM
Dh's cousin named their dd same as ours. and my cousin named her ds same as my nephew my sis was really mad so ask first and dh wants us to name our next girl sophia but it reminds me of golden girls

HOOAH

witcheymommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:04 AM

I think its really nice that your asking. Personally, it woul not bother me if someone used the same names as my kids, friends, or family, but it would mean alot to me that they were considerate enough to ask. When we picked out names, my husband had a "rule" that they couldent have the same names as ANY family, and he has a huge family that he honestly hasent seen for 20 years, and I think thats riduculous, especially since you never see them..So anyways, I say go for it.

NattysMommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:12 AM

ASK!!! My BIL used my DD's name as his kid's middle name and never asked or anything, we didn't even know until after she was born. I was very pissed that he didn't even consider to TELL us let alone ask if we minded!!! 

heidi_val
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Thanks!! I'll ask them and pray they say yes. 

Mover
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:19 AM

This reminds me of my SIL and my neice Morgan.  They had been waiting for a little girl for several years.  They chose the name Morgan early on in the pregnancy.  She told everyone the name of her daughter.  They received a birth announcement from a close cousin and they name their new daughter Morgan also.  She is still mad about it to this day that they stole her daughters name.  My neice is only 12 now and my SIL will still tell you they stole the name. LOL

myboogiewoogie
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I would ask.  My cousin by marriage named his dd the same name as mine - after MY grandmother! I was and still am a little pissed.  

I am a flower in the garden of awesomeness!

jmlgb
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:57 AM

I must be the "odd man out" . Number 1 you said you rarely see him, and number 2 the name isn't "his" to tell you yes or no too. You can name your child whatever you want. I would go ahead and use the name.

tresproudmommy
by #1postkiller on May. 24, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I agree with the other posts, ask first.  My cousins were both pregnant at the same time, one had a girl in May the other in July.  At first the July baby was going to be named Deja, but the May baby came and you can guess what her name ended up being, yep Deja, although spelled differently still the same name. 

Proud Mommy to Tre' ~~~Proud wife to Alvin

Phenomemom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:01 AM

People don't have rights to a name. If you want to...ask. If not, use the name.

That said, I prefer Sophie to Sophia : )

NSeni
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:09 AM

who cares what your cousin thinks. a name is a name, it's not owned by anyone so i dont see any reason for you to ask permission to use it. it's not like they are the only person with a daughter named sophia.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)