• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler bed help (piog)

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

My dd is 19 months old and has been sleeping in her toddler bed for about a week now. She was sleeping thru the night wel, but she got a cold and would wake up in te night bc she couldn't breathe thru her nose. Dh and I would take her in bed with us unil she fell back to sleep then put her back in bed. Now she has become accustomed (sp?) to this and is waking up 1 or 2 times a night and wants to come to bed with us. I'm wondering if I should put her back in her crib for a while and not get her in the night (she can't get out of her crib)  until she gets used to sleeping thru the night again. When she gets up she wll stand in her crib not sure how long it will take her to get back to sleep dd is very stubborn. Does anyone have any suggestions? We're expecting our 2nd dd in July and I want Sammy to be sleeping thru the night again when her sister comes. Please help!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NSeni
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:03 AM

quit putting her in your bed. if she wakes up, just put her back in her bed with her blanket and let her cry til she falls back asleep. i had the same problem with my son after he was sick as well. i dont mind when kids are sick if they are sleeping in my bed, but after your sick you don't need to be there.  

Mover
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:06 AM

I wouldn't put her back in the crib, especially because you are expecting baby #2 soon.  I would put her in the toddler bed and sit with her until she goes back to sleep.  It might take a while to get her used to sleeping in her toddler bed again.  Unless you really want her to sleep with you for a while, I would really encourage her to sleep in her own bed.

ShannieP
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I would definatly try putting her back in her bed and letting her cry, if you CIO. Also, we had a similar issue with my DD and we started out with a little sleeping area on the floor next to our bed, did that for a few nights. Then I moved her to her room, where I would sit on the side of her bed till she started to drift off, then I would leave.she would usually start crying when I got up, but by that point she was so tired, it didnt take long for her to go back to sleep.

babies

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2009 at 8:17 AM

My mom had a similar problem with my brother. They started to just not get him when he would wake until he startedjust coming into their room. They put him back in his bed immediately. They actually started locking their bedroom door and found that didn't work because he started sleeping on the floor at their door. They just kept putting him back into his own bed until he finally stayed. He was a stubborn boy  LOL.

bec94
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 8:29 AM
we didn't go the toddler bed route, we put dd in a full bed. Our reason was this: we co-slept for a little over a year, then put dd in her crib. That went well until we went to visit family for a week and let her sleep with us. Not good since Im pregnant too. We got her bed in Feb, and she hasn't been in our bed since. She's two today, and she will ask us at times to lay with her for a few. We think that since she loved our bed so much, having one like mom and dad made it easier. Good luck, once they break routine it takes a bit to get them back on it.
bec94
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM
also we put a gate across her doorway. When she would get up, I'd check and make sure she's ok, then tell her to get back in bed. It was more so naptime than bedtime. After a bit she'd back into crawl into bed herself.
LEJOLIE
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:23 AM

WHEN DS FUSSES I GET IN HIS BED .TRY STAYING IN HER BED UNTIL SHE FALLS ASLEEP EVEN IF ITS 2 OR 3 TIMES.

CarterMommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:28 AM

my younger son had been doing the same thing... he's not sick anymore so when he comes into my room we take him back and rock him or pat him until he's back asleep in his bed

i'm due with my 3rd in July also so my 15 month old in my bed is NOT gonna work lol

good luck 

withsecond
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:34 AM

It really sucks when they get sick and it throws their whole routine off! My son is still in his crib so it's hard to say for sure what will work but I guess maybe just try and put her back in her bed when she gets up and maybe eventually she will just stay and there and stop waking up. I wouldn't put her back in the crib though, that would be going backward and might confuse her... Like I said I'm not there yet (soon) so I'm just saying what I would try or most likely will try when we have this baby!

Good Luck!

Wife to Seanin loveMom to Michael 11 years old teen boy

Aedan 14 monthstoddler boyand pregnant with a boy! Due October 3rd! pregnant belly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)