Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else notice this? (about Memorial Day) *update*

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM
  • 33 Replies

It seems like around here Memorial Day has turned into nothing but a 4 day weekend for camping, drinking, and fireworks. I don't know, I guess I think it's kind of sad that that's what it's turned in to.

Anyway, that's my post, lol. I've just been thinking about that and how to most of the people I know, that's all it is.

*Since this has somehow turned dramatic, let me add in one of my own replies here*

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the way it's celebrated. I know that's pretty much what people do. I am saying I think it's sad that most of the people I know don't even know what Memorial Day actually is.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leeloo309
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM

so you think it's sad for people to spend quality time together as a family?

Married Mom of 4
heidi37217
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I don't think that is what she is saying at all. What she is saying is how she has noticed that people have seemed to forget what Memorial Day is about.

Quoting Leeloo309:

RockYou FXText - Get Your Own

mommybug77
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM

The thing of it is holidays are a personal thing. People have to stop trying to dictate how others celebrate them. As long as you are doing what you want to then why does it matter what anyone else does?! 

184/176/150

anetrnlov
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Yep...doesn't bother me.  I don't like people trying to dictate how I celebrate so I won't dictate how they celebrate either.

I am going to a BBQ and Bonfire today actually.

emilysmom8
by Dawn on May. 24, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Quoting Leeloo309:

I think what the OP is trying to say is it is sad that a lot of people forgot what Memorial Day is. It is wonderful that family's are spending quality time together but the true meaning of Memorial day should not be forgotten

Leeloo309
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Quoting heidi37217:

I don't think that is what she is saying at all. What she is saying is how she has noticed that people have seemed to forget what Memorial Day is about.

Quoting Leeloo309:

What would be the "proper"way to celebrate?

Married Mom of 4
bigmommasmomma
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:01 AM

doesn't bother me! Me my daughter and Nephew are going to spend the day at the state fair...Im excited, its soo nice out there.

--MY LAINA BABY--
-got a taste of paint-

Leeloo309
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Quoting emilysmom8:

Quoting Leeloo309:

I think what the OP is trying to say is it is sad that a lot of people forgot what Memorial Day is. It is wonderful that family's are spending quality time together but the true meaning of Memorial day should not be forgotten

LOL!!That's just silly ,what's the name of the day? How can you forget what your celebrating ,when clearly it's the whole point!  "Memorial Day"   :)

Married Mom of 4
JudeandLucy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Thanks, heidi. That is what I meant. I guess I'll elaborate by saying if I were to walk up and ask someone what Memorial Day is for, a good amount of them wouldn't even know. They'd know they're off work and/or school on Monday and are getting drunk all weekend with their buddies.  

(I do think spending quality family time is great, btw.) 

Quoting heidi37217:

Quoting Leeloo309:

lovemy2boyz08
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I guess your right. My DH and his family went to the bass pro shop last night to get some fishing equipment for today..(to bad DH isn't going)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)