Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know anything about cats?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

I have 2 new kitty's now they are 6 and a half weeks old. I have had them for 3 days they have been using the litter box fine, then today there was cat poo on the floor in the corner. I scoop out the box every-time they use it AND have already changed the litter yesterday, WTF? I don't get it..........If they keep doing that I might take them back, even though I want to keep them. Is there such thing as a one-time occurance?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marello
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Maybe check the height of the litter box. Make sure they can easily get in and get out. Also, they may not like the kind of litter...I use Fresh Step and never had any problems.  The food and water dish should be away from the litter box.

tdmag
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Hmm, I will get some Fresh Step today thank-you!

Quoting Marello:

Maybe check the height of the litter box. Make sure they can easily get in and get out. Also, they may not like the kind of litter...I use Fresh Step and never had any problems.  The food and water dish should be away from the litter box.

toolmama
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM

your new little cats are learning- help them along by placing them inside the litter box now and again to remind them where to poo.     also you may want a lower box for awhile so the cat can get into the litter easily.    those cats will grow fast and you can then replace the litter box with a larger one!    some patience and love- that is what you must give them!   my cat's 16-  enjoy!

tdmag
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Thanks!

Quoting toolmama:

your new little cats are learning- help them along by placing them inside the litter box now and again to remind them where to poo.     also you may want a lower box for awhile so the cat can get into the litter easily.    those cats will grow fast and you can then replace the litter box with a larger one!    some patience and love- that is what you must give them!   my cat's 16-  enjoy!

Aislinn
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM

It is a miracle they are using a box so young. Kittens really should not leave Mom until they are 8 weeks old. Cats are going to have accidents every now and then, ESPECIALLY since they are so young.

Marello
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Oh, make sure the litter isn't too deep. They like to dig when they go poo. :) Good luck!! 

kriss1023
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM

We have 5 kittens right now! I understand!! Its almost like potty training, its alot easier but still the same concept!! They will have accidents just put them in the box. Also if you are going to change the litter, you should do it gradually. If its a new smell they might not use it. That what the my vet told me anyway. Cats are very......umm.....picky (to put it nicely!)!!!!

tdmag
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Wow, I didnt know that. My hubby got for free in the news paper.

Quoting Aislinn:

It is a miracle they are using a box so young. Kittens really should not leave Mom until they are 8 weeks old. Cats are going to have accidents every now and then, ESPECIALLY since they are so young.

kriss1023
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Quoting Aislinn:

My kittens have been using the litter box since they were around 4 weeks old. and they have started eating moist food for about a week now. they still nurse but not as much. I think it might depend on the cat. Unless I have super awsome smart kittens!!!!!!!

tdmag
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Thanks!

Quoting kriss1023:

We have 5 kittens right now! I understand!! Its almost like potty training, its alot easier but still the same concept!! They will have accidents just put them in the box. Also if you are going to change the litter, you should do it gradually. If its a new smell they might not use it. That what the my vet told me anyway. Cats are very......umm.....picky (to put it nicely!)!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)