Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our new kitten and the litter box *vent*

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM
  • 12 Replies

Okay so we just got a kitten this past Thursday.  He's 6 weeks old.  The lady we got him from told us he was completely litter box trained.  Well, the first couple of days he would have accidents and I just thought it was because he's not used to the new house.  But yesterday we put him in his litter box every 20 min, trying to get him to go in it.  But no.  He'd jump out and run away.  He's going to the bathroom everywhere BUT the litter box.  We put him in the room with the litter box and close the door, trying to get him used to where it is, but that still doesn't work.  This morning I went in to play with him, and there were 2 piles of poop behind the door, at the opposite side of the room as the litter box.  I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to give up and take him back to the lady we got him from.  We can't deal with a cat that's going all over the house, it's a rental house and we don't want to have to pay to replace the carpets.  I told hubby I'm going to give it another week and if still no litter box, he's gone.  Does anyone have ANY suggestion to get kitty to go in his litter box?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvsMimi4ever
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM

hmm i dunno..i dont have a cat. if i were you i would get rid of the cat right NOW!

jessdamian77
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Can y0u put his litter box inside of a larger card board box (one he cant get out of?) if you can put him in it for like a half an hour after he eats....maybe he will get the picture then.

Also, when you pick up his poo be sure to put it into his litter box not the trash, he needs to smell his scent in there,

torijadekylie
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:14 AM
The only thing I can suggest is when our old cat did that crap I'd rub his nose in it and then stick him right back in the litter box. Of course I'd also be pissed if someone told me he was trained and wasn't. So just keep taking him back to the litter box or you can try the spray they sell at wal mart that helps them go where they are supposed to.

Hope--Loving wife to Randy since 3/20/08, Mommy to Tori (9/12/05), Kylie (6/4/07), and Kevin due to arrive 9/13/09.

chiamom123
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:19 AM
it could also be the litter you are using you might need to try different ones to get him to go in it i would call the other lady up and ask what she uses.
pixxydust
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM

do you have a kennel then put the kitty in it with the litter box. and let the kiten will start going in the litterbox then slowley start letting him out. maybe that would help

vickieb310
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM

When you adopted him did you pick him out of the litter? and was the mama cat with them??  It's the mama who teaches the kittens how to use the litter box...

it wouldn't hurt to call the lady and find out exactly what kind of litter she was using - and putting his own poop in the box then putting him there so he can smell himself there wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck.

cmb121906
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:25 AM

This is what having a pet is about. There's so many strays b/c apparently people forget the animals poop and make messes and then just send them on their way. Ughhh, sorry, but this is a sore subject for me. I can honestly feel your frustration, but don't kick the cat out.

Just give him a little more time. I have never known a cat that wouldn't go in the litter box. Mine have always taken to it about the 2nd day. I would put the poop in the box and then stick her in it and if she stays a little bit, give her treats. She'll come around, I promise :)

Debbie233
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Is your cat box brand new?   It also could be the cat litter your useing.   I had that problem with one of my cat's & once I changed the litter brand he was going in his box.  Since he is so little make suer you get a cat litter that does not hurt his feet.   I use Feline Pine.   It's really good & you can flush it along with his poo.

vickieb310
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Oh, another thought - and I'm sure it's a long shot, but my mom used to have a cat that was shy - it would only use a box that had a cover. :)

shecallsmemom04
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM

at 6 weeks old he should still be with his mother and litter mates.  animals learn from their mothers in the first 8-12 weeks of life which would be why they should stay with mommy until they are ready.  at 6 weeks no animal is ready.

put him in a confined spot, like a dog crate with food, water, litter, and a blanket.  a small bathroom might work too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)