Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents of teens...my sis might not graduate HS! Advice please! UPDATE

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM
  • 27 Replies

My 19 year old sister is enrolled in online high school through a vocational school near her "home" school (the regular high school). She enrolled in online school because she wouldn't get out of bed to go to regular school and ended up skipping school for almost 6 weeks straight. She's lucky she wasn't expelled or in trouble with the courts. Anyway, all she has to do for online school is log on to a site and do her school work that way. It's supposed to take about 4 hours a day. She didn't log on and has been counted "absent" for just about everyday of the past month. Now she is 160 assignments behind and is scheduled to take her finals the 29th. However, she can't take the finals unless she gets at least a 70% in all her classes and right now, her highest grade is a 38%.

I need your help. My parents need your help. We have all tried to talk to her. Threatened her (my parents said they would take her cell phone and shut it off it she didn't graduate HS), everything we can think of. So, she moved out! She now lives with her boyfriend and his parents. We are at a loss. We don't know how to get through to her how important high school is. How you can barely get anywhere without a college degree, let alone without a high school diploma. Can anyone offer any advice? How can we get through to her?

UPDATE: She did it! Well, we think so. She got all her grades up to a passing level and was able to take her exams. She just got done taking them and says she thinks she did really well, but doesn't know for sure yet. Now all we have to worry about is the number of days she missed. Either way, I am still VERY proud of her for stepping up and doing it.

Now, what should I get her for a graduation gift???

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv2wahm
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Unfortunately at 19, she may have to have life give her that lesson....it's hard seeing someone you love heading towards a train wreck, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

I don't really have advice, only I hope she wakes up soon.

xxPaulaxx
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Just have her take the GED. It's not a high school diploma.. but she's not putting in the effort to get one, so no point in trying to make her. She's an adult.

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I don't know that there is anything you guys can do. She's 19 and she's an adult and making her choices. Your parents shouldn't help her out by giving her money. They should turn her cell phone off and stop paying any other bills they pay for her. She's making the decision to not finish high school. She doesn't want to do school she can be an adult and find a job and pay her own bills. That's what i would do and that's what my parents would have done to me.

Chrystal_A
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM

You can lead a horse to the water but you can not make it drink.

withsecond
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Unfortunetly I think you guys have done all that you can. If she moved out then I think she has her mind set on not finishing school. Hopefully she'll smarten up but if not she can at least get her GED when she's ready. It sucks but she's 19 so there isn't much you can do about it.

Wife to Seanin loveMom to Michael 11 years old teen boy

Aedan 14 monthstoddler boyand pregnant with a boy! Due October 3rd! pregnant belly

jmlgb
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:40 AM

You can't make her want this. No matter what you say or do if she doesn't want it she won't do it. She sounds to me like she is pretty lazy. How damn hard is it to log on everyday? Sorry but you can't fix this for her. 

user521
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Sorry but I dont think there is much you can do.  I was a highschool drop out and I never got my GED till I was 22.  She's apparently not interested or mature enough to want to get it.  Leave her alone and I'm sure she'll get it on her own like I did.  Oh and I dropped out of school in the 9th grade.

CafeMom Tickers
Brooke501
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM

She obviously does not give a crap about school so anything that you or your parents try is not gonna do one bit of good. She needs to want it for anything to happen. Maybe just take her a study guide for the GED or info on it and let her make the choice for herself. 

MommySteph06
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM

That's what they are going to do if she doesn't graduate. They pay her car insurance, cell phone bill, and plenty of other things. She has no job and hasn't had one for almost 2 years. They don't want to do anything now, because they feel like if they take it all away now then she might just get really pissed off and not want to try at all. But they have made it very clear that these things will be taken away if she doesn't graduate. They even have the $175 for the early termination fee on her cell phone contract (her boyfriend gave it to them).

Quoting Seans_mommy123:

I don't know that there is anything you guys can do. She's 19 and she's an adult and making her choices. Your parents shouldn't help her out by giving her money. They should turn her cell phone off and stop paying any other bills they pay for her. She's making the decision to not finish high school. She doesn't want to do school she can be an adult and find a job and pay her own bills. That's what i would do and that's what my parents would have done to me.

jaysonsmommy15
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I am 19 myself and no one will tell me what to do....that being said your sister is not going to be told what to do. 

Give her the facts if she listens great if not then she will just face the consequences. 

Its hard watching someone you love so much fall down a path like that but in the end they need to make their own mistakes and learn from them. 

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)