Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does vinegar stop cats from peeing somewhere? (need help ASAP please!)

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM
  • 3 Replies

I'm cleaning the carpets (taking a break) and my cat pees and pees DIRECTLY BEHIND the litter box, which is our nursery when we have babies in the house. I'm trying to get it out of the carpets via Rug Doctor, but I really don't want to have to do this EVER AGAIN!  I'm just rinsing with vinegar and water in the solution part right now. I only have a little detergent left and was going to use that on the final round.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do?!

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
epoh
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Doesn't hurt to try :~) Your best bet is to clean the area as thoroughly as possible. Once a cat pees somewhere, they continue to pee there when they smell it. Vinegar definitely neutralizes odors (I use it to wash diapers, floors, countertops, etc). They also make a spray that when you spray it the animal stays away, but I found it to only be effective immediately after spraying (not for 24 hours like the can said :~( )

Probably your best bet is to pull up your carpets. If you cannot do that, clean the area, and do not allow the cat in the room. Always close the door, and keep a spray bottle of water handy to spray at the cat if you find him/her in there.

The world is absurd, and beautiful, and small.

First_One_8_18
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I WISH that was an option! The cat refuses to go downstairs and we have no doors upstairs. We live in an A frame house, so our master bedroom is the entire upstairs, with a half wall that seperates our room from a sitting room in front, where the cat's stuff is. SO just got laid off, so pulling up the carpets isn't an option, either.

CRAP!

Quoting epoh:

Doesn't hurt to try :~) Your best bet is to clean the area as thoroughly as possible. Once a cat pees somewhere, they continue to pee there when they smell it. Vinegar definitely neutralizes odors (I use it to wash diapers, floors, countertops, etc). They also make a spray that when you spray it the animal stays away, but I found it to only be effective immediately after spraying (not for 24 hours like the can said :~( )

Probably your best bet is to pull up your carpets. If you cannot do that, clean the area, and do not allow the cat in the room. Always close the door, and keep a spray bottle of water handy to spray at the cat if you find him/her in there.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on May. 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)