Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child have a cell phone?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM
  • 36 Replies

IF so how old is he/she? How old do you think is too young to have one? 

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidi37217
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM

my daughter is 10 and has one.

RockYou FXText - Get Your Own

shecallsmemom04

my daughter is 6 and has a firefly. 

skisbufly1

My DD is to young, she's only 10 months, but Im getting the disney ones for my niece and nephew, and there 10 and 9.

LuvsMimi4ever
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM

my 8yr old has a phone but its only for emergencies. sometimes i cant pick her up and she goes home with one of her friends and she calls and tells me. its the phone with the four buttons. you pre-program the numbers and you can only call and recieve calls from those 4.

milmiracle
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I guess that is an inidvidual choice.  some parents have a cell phone/text relationship w/ their kids others are there for them so it's up to the family to decide.  kids will definitely want one cuz that is the in thing, the style and the fad but if it's not necessary Y.  my son has one that he found on the ground and uses it for games and to show off, LOL, he's so cute and funny acting like a grown man when he's just a baby. 

cdgoldilocks
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I got my dd one at 12. She was texting non stop on it, even in class. So, due to that and the economy, our family shut off all cell phones. If our jobs need to get ahold of us that bad, they can provide us with one. DH and I both have phones and radio access at each of our jobs. We have a home phone. Kids can call us from school. It saved us $100 a month and gave us some peace of mind.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

cillaluvsmali
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM

i didnt get one til i was 13 and even i thought that was WAY too young!! my mom got it for me because i used to walk home from school and sometimes i wouldnt go directly home i would be at a friends house and she needed to get ahold of me while i was walking places (i live in a smaller city, not too small anymore i guess) but i also used to visit my dad every other weekend and she thought it would be easier to just call me instead of going through him or my step mom

oh and as for my own son, i dont think he'll need one before high school. Maybe if he went somewhere with a team or with friends a lot, but he can always use someones house phone or their cell phones. I might even just wait til he 15 and has a job to decided whether or not he is responsible enough to have one because I broke like 4 of them and my parents had to keep buying new ones, its ridiculous

vickieb310
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM

My oldest (15) got her first one at 13, my youngest (8) doesn't have one yet.

As for how young is too young - that's up to whoever is paying for the phone to decide.  I'll gladly get them (and pay for them) for my girls whenever I feel they need it.

And please none of that stupid "they can use payphones" argument (payphones are practically nonexistent these days) - and none of the "well we didn't have them growing up and we did just fine" either, because life isn't the same as it used to be.

mysteriousmom06
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

My kids don't have one. They are 10, almost 9, and 3 1/2. I don't plan on getting them one right now. they don't go anywhere without an adult so I don't think they need one.

mspooh404
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM

My son is 16 years old and he's had a pay-as-you-go cell phone for about 3 or 4 years now.  I originally got it for him for safety reasons.  He was catching the public bus home from school and I'd have him call me when he got out of school, while he was waiting at the bus stop and while he was walking from the bus stop to our house.  It may have been overkill, but it made me feel better knowing he had a way to contact me if anything happened.

I think the appropriate age for cell phones depends on a lot.  Is the kid mature enough to have one?  (Are they playing with it, showing it off to friends, have it out during class?)  Can they handle the responsibility of having one? (Are they using up their minutes or running up the phone bill?)  Are there legitimate reasons to have a cell phone?  (Are there safety concerns for a kid walking or catching the public bus to/from school or do they want one because everyone else has one?)  You are the only one that can answers these questions and determine if it's right for you and your child.

**~~**Ms. Pooh...A Hunny of a Bear**~~**
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)