Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for traveling with small children?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

We leave on Thursday for my brother's wedding in mississippi (an 18 hour drive) and I have a 1 year old and a two year old. Any advice for me on how to make the drive easier? They are very good in the car but this is the longest trip we have taken.

Also, any advice for how to help them transition and sleep well in the hotel room? They always have a hard time sleeping away from home.

So, can you girls help me so I can enjoy my vacation and not pull my hair out? TIA!! :)

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jmlgb
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Their own pillows, blankets and a portable DVD player. Those are a godsend!

momma2-3boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Snacks, toys, and juice/water.  We travel about 12-15 hours pretty frequently so I know, lol with trial and error.

I usually will take away and hide toys about a week before we leave so it is "new" to them.  I sometimes will buy a new cheap toy or go on craigslist for a toy as well and pull that out when they seem to get restless.

Also childrens music on a cd does wonders in my vehicle for some reason! 

We also try to stop every 3 hours to get out and stretch and run around for a couple of minutes and that keeps EVERYONE happy!

For snacks I pack a little cooler bag full of water/juice and cheese sticks, cucumber slices (without the rind), black olives, fruit, cracker (I make oyster crackers with ranch seasoning on it), cereal, just a variety of snacks but I try to minimize the sugary snacks as it winds them up!

I am not much of a help with the transition of sleeping in a different place.  That is something that is still hard for us.  MY 2 year old LOVES his crib, he doesnt even like to nap or even lay down in our bed.  It usually takes a day for him to know he doesnt havve his crib and this is the only option for him and then he just surrenders.

Good luck and have a good trip! 

Oh and having the mindset that the trip will go good is a PLUS!!! 

Double.L
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Pack a small cooler with juice, snacks, sandwhiches etc...

Pack a bad of toys for each, some new little things or at least things they havent seen or played with in a while plus favorites like coloring books, books for you to read to them etc...

Plan your gas around lunchtime, to avoid to many stops.

If you can get or borrow one a DVD player for kids movies will save your life!!!

He's my star....and I'm his sky....

austinsm0mmy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM

check out www.babysafetravel.com  they have tonnes of advice etc on traveling with small kids.

andreaw03
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I've only traveled a couple times with my daughter so far, but I find it easier to drive thru the night with her.  She sleeps the whole time, and I can drive.....if you guys dont mind driving at night, its easier :)

ShakleeMama87
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Thank you everyone, these are some great ideas! Anyone else?

tajmogirl
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM

This is a great post! We are going to Florida in September and my son will be 2. The longest ride he has had so far is 45 minutes so this will help me out a TON!!!

a_elder92376
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I traveled from GA to CA with a two yr old....we brought a dvd player and lots of movies, we brought a coloring book, toys, blanket and pillow. We had lots of snacks and juice for her to drink, so it was fairly easy....

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)