Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need the PROS and CONS of.... (HOA)

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM
  • 17 Replies

My husband and I are looking at houses.  We have looked at 8 already and 5 of them had had home owners association fees.  The fees are not outrageous BUT I guess my husband and I do not know much about HOA. 

What exactly is included in HOA fees?  I mean the way my husband is looking at is we are paying an association to give us rules and in force them.  We will keep up a house but we don't want to go to them to ASK permission to put up a house when that is our house and our land.

With that said we don't know much about HOA.  If you know anything about HOA or you live in a neighborhood with HOA fees can you please respond with your experience, pros, and cons please. Thank You!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidi37217
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM

The only pro is your neighborhood stays nice and pretty..no junk cars, tall grass ect..allowed

Con for me is having to ask permission to paint my door when I want to.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Not only no junk cars,only certain christmas decorations.No parking on the grass(if you have family or friends over they have to park in the street)grass has to be cut or you are fined.No fancy mailboxes.(the rules are may vary)

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
jmlgb
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:37 PM

We don't have them here and I wouldn't want to live where there was one. I don't want anyone telling me what to do with the house i am paying for. However I do remember a mom on this site bitching about her neighbors CURTAINS and that the color was NOT HOA approved so she was going to turn her in....over curtains...something that is INSIDE the person's house.  

MalibuMommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I can only find cons for HOA's. Why the hell do I want to spend tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house when someone else will tell me if I can have a boat in my driveway or not or if I can put on those awesome light displays with music for Christmas? I just think the HOAs are BS and when you're spending that much money on a house, you should be able to do whatever the eff you want.

momma2-3boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM

That is exactly what we DO NOT want.  Lol, I think it is craziness.  We have only cons about living with a HOA and that (the lady turning her neighbor in) is what we do not want either. 

Thank you!

Quoting jmlgb:

We don't have them here and I wouldn't want to live where there was one. I don't want anyone telling me what to do with the house i am paying for. However I do remember a mom on this site bitching about her neighbors CURTAINS and that the color was NOT HOA approved so she was going to turn her in....over curtains...something that is INSIDE the person's house.  

jmlgb
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I bet that post was a year ago and I will never forget it! I can't imagine having nothing better to do in my life than worry about my neighbors curtains!

Quoting momma2-3boys:

That is exactly what we DO NOT want.  Lol, I think it is craziness.  We have only cons about living with a HOA and that (the lady turning her neighbor in) is what we do not want either. 

Thank you!

Quoting jmlgb:

momma2-3boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Seriously!  The houses were decent but I dont want to pay to be told what I can and cant do especially freaking curtain colors. 

Quoting jmlgb:

I bet that post was a year ago and I will never forget it! I can't imagine having nothing better to do in my life than worry about my neighbors curtains!

Quoting momma2-3boys:

Thank you!

Quoting jmlgb:

jmlgb
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM

The only PRO i have seen is sometimes it covers yard work, landscaping and snow removal. That is the only PRO I know of.

jen_jen7
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM

my mil lives in a townhouse and pays hoa dues and she pays $125 a month and for her that covers her water bill, lawn mowed, lawn watered, and sidewalks shoveled.  And they have rules as far as what you can have in your yard and you can't plant anything in the ground only potted plant.  So it just depends on the rules of your hoa

staci1103
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM

my dh and i are in the same boat with looking and have found some in and some out of a community.  it seems the ones that we have looked at you would also get access to any outdoor/indoor activities they have going on there.  ie: indoor/outdoor pool, skiing, tennis etc...

we're still on the fence about it.  we really want freedom but yet the other stuff is always good to have access to.  the prices were a little high too we thought.

Quoting jmlgb:

The only PRO i have seen is sometimes it covers yard work, landscaping and snow removal. That is the only PRO I know of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)