Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coast Guard...

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

So my DF and i were talking and he said he's interested in joining the Coast Guard. I'm okay with it (i think) but i'd like some more information on it. Anyone? Thanks ahead of time.

I'am a proud 20 year old mother who is a vaccinating, co-sleeping, once breastfed now formula feeding, swear word user, disposable diapering, sing my <3 out while driving, tattoo'd, school going, thick headed, fast food eating, ear piercing, hair dying, stay at home mother of 1 beautiful little girl!!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BKCM2008
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:06 PM

BUMP!!

I'am a proud 20 year old mother who is a vaccinating, co-sleeping, once breastfed now formula feeding, swear word user, disposable diapering, sing my <3 out while driving, tattoo'd, school going, thick headed, fast food eating, ear piercing, hair dying, stay at home mother of 1 beautiful little girl!!

Swtmama62205
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:07 PM

i wanna know too...so heres a bump=) 

BKCM2008
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Sooo NO ONE knows anything about the coast guard?!

ceashell707
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM

My man has been in for 18 years.  Its treated him/us pretty well.  He has traveled all over the world, they are required to do a certain amount of time out on the water on a ship, which is really a large boat, nothing compared to the Navy.  He spent 4 years, in a few months stretches catching drug runners in international waters. 

He has been home for 4 years, no more ship time, they only send the "young" ones on the ships.  He is full time still, works m-f 9-5 in a medical office.  Next month he goes recruiting which is a cushy job.  We are hoping to be transferred to Hawaii in 3 years, he plans on retiring at 30 years. The money and benefits are fucking amazing!

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM

its pretty much just like any branch. they go out on 4-6 month deployments and  do alot of drug ops depending on the area you're stationed. They also enforce the laws on the water, do boardings,etc. advancement is not so great from what i've heard.

momma2-3boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:15 PM

You might want to post in the Coast Guard Wives group and maybe they will know more and their husbands or if they are in the CG will be able to help.

My best friend joined when she was 23 and she LOVES it, some parts she has hated but she loves her job and the CG.  She is now 26.

ceashell707
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

its pretty much just like any branch. they go out on 4-6 month deployments and  do alot of drug ops depending on the area you're stationed. They also enforce the laws on the water, do boardings,etc. advancement is not so great from what i've heard.

There is a lot of advancement but they make it hard, they make you take the tests to advance, but you have to be in the 95% to advance.  And a lot of coasties don't do well on the tests on purpose b/c they don't want to be transfered AGAIN. 

BKCM2008
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM

This might sound like a dumb question but hes on the boat for that long?

Quoting ceashell707:

My man has been in for 18 years.  Its treated him/us pretty well.  He has traveled all over the world, they are required to do a certain amount of time out on the water on a ship, which is really a large boat, nothing compared to the Navy.  He spent 4 years, in a few months stretches catching drug runners in international waters. 

He has been home for 4 years, no more ship time, they only send the "young" ones on the ships.  He is full time still, works m-f 9-5 in a medical office.  Next month he goes recruiting which is a cushy job.  We are hoping to be transferred to Hawaii in 3 years, he plans on retiring at 30 years. The money and benefits are fucking amazing!

ceashell707
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Quoting BKCM2008:

This might sound like a dumb question but hes on the boat for that long?

Quoting ceashell707:

I was having trouble wording it.  LOL  For 4 years, every few months he would go out for 3-4 months at a time.  They send them out for 6 weeks, it always takes longer. 

celticreverie
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM

My BIL is in the coast guard. He hasn't been required to be on a boat at all.. in the few years he's been in. He loves it.

Also, they don't get deployed to Iraq, or Afghan unless it's volunteered.

He is in avionics and loves it. He has done a lot of schooling though, and he doesn't have a family so it's easier. But he's in cape cod and goes out on search and rescues and loves it.

You should find a recruiter and talk about the different fields. He works on the Falcons, the electrical part of it, and just has a blast. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)