Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amish.....

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM
  • 39 Replies

Ok this may sounds ignorant but is a total serious question that i have always wondered and this would be a good place to ask!!  Anyways are there really still Amish people these days?? Sorry if i didnt spell Amish right! Anyways why does one choose to be Amish? Is it religion? From my understanding they dont use electricity and things like that! Why would you wanna do this? Just wondering PLEASE dont take me the wrong way im am NOT bashing i am NOT a judge mental mother im just wanting to know!!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:25 PM

You spelled it right and yes,there are.

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
cmb121906
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Yes, the still very much exist. There are Amish towns all over America. It is a lifestyle and you are born into it. They actually have awesome food and make awesome products.

6in5years
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Yes, there are still many Amish people.  Yes, it is a religion and lifestyle.  Like every other religion or lack of I don't know why people "choose " to be Amish.  Probably because they think that it will keep them from burning in hell.

mommy2be1121
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Umm interesting! Do they have towns like this in GA?? So if you are born into it but want to get out does your family disown you?

Quoting cmb121906:

Yes, the still very much exist. There are Amish towns all over America. It is a lifestyle and you are born into it. They actually have awesome food and make awesome products.

mommy2be1121
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Oh ok thats what i was wondring if to them it was because they didnt want to hell! I wasnt sure if it was a religion! Is the religion called Amish?

Quoting 6in5years:

Yes, there are still many Amish people.  Yes, it is a religion and lifestyle.  Like every other religion or lack of I don't know why people "choose " to be Amish.  Probably because they think that it will keep them from burning in hell.

sportymama76
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Yes there are still Amish.  It's a religion.  They don't use any electricity or cars.  They use horse and buggies.  From what I understand they believe that the more simply they live the closer they can be to God because material things don't get in the way.  I would say most are born into it but there are those that choose the religion and lifestyle.

JennRN09
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM

yes there are! In Ohio there are quite a few amish communities. They vary in beliefs. I know that the ones that I see most often are amish-they wear all black, drive horse buggies, and are very strict. We also have meninites sp??? they are allowed to be driven in cars and have some electric.

mommy2be1121
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Thank you! That pretty much answered everything i was wanting to know!

Quoting sportymama76:

Yes there are still Amish.  It's a religion.  They don't use any electricity or cars.  They use horse and buggies.  From what I understand they believe that the more simply they live the closer they can be to God because material things don't get in the way.  I would say most are born into it but there are those that choose the religion and lifestyle.

andreamarie
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Ive lived in Indiana, Mississippi & Michigan and they lived there too.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Quoting cmb121906:

Yeah we just got some smoked meat and some cheese.We get their eggs(but eggs are eggs) and we have a round of friendship bread going.

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)